Chapter 13

Elyas

Boredom was the last thing I thought I'd be feeling as I waited at the tent. But that's exactly the ailment I suffered from. Near me was another tent. A group congregated together to talk. I eavesdropped but most of it was simple small talk.

But I perked up at one point.

"Did you hear the news?"

"News? What are you on about? Since when did you follow that stuff?"

"You'll want to hear this though. The prince... is dead. Murdered, the queen said. It's being broadcasted everywhere."

That's what got my attention. She thought me dead? Even though I'd only just gone missing?

My thoughts went to the Mariposa. Had they told her they killed me? Maybe to hold it over her head? I knew instantly what Maeve would say. She'd think me foolish beyond belief. But she didn't know my mother. Didn't know the woman under the crown. Maeve had been indoctrinated her entire life to believe the very worst of the queen, after all.

Sure, the queen was flawed. We disagreed. The throne got to her, just as it would anyone. But she wouldn't wish her son dead.

This was my kingdom to rule. They couldn't think me dead. There was still so much I hadn't accomplished.

I HAD to go back.

Begrudgingly, I realized I had no wings. I wouldn't get far. But I had plenty of money on me. And I knew where a good wings dealer nearby was. It wasn't wholly impossible. The thought of simply waiting it out for Maeve came to mind, but she wouldn't like the idea of my going back. Besides, I had put her through enough. It was time for a clean break. I wrote a quick note and took off running down the dark alley, hoping no one realized who I was.

I didn't mind it much right now if they thought me dead. Once I got closer to the main city, I slowed. Unable to help myself, I thought of Maeve's face when she saw I had disappeared. The pang it caused was surprising. And confusing.

Sure, she had helped me. But she was still deeply troubled. And for that reason, she couldn't be trusted. I walked for several miles, pretty peacefully. Only a bit of stares, never hurt anybody.

Until a knife came whizzing past my ear.

I look up to see a Mariposa flying at me, their wrist gun armed and ready.

"Oh shit."

I took off running as the Mariposa followed closely behind me, shooting dagger after dagger at me. I hopped, skipped, turned and skidded just by each one. As I continued though, my steps got sluggish, tired from the long night. I started to trip up and a dagger caught my ankle. I gasped in pain, wrenching away from it.

I turned down an alley, limping now as I run. Ahead of me was yet another Mariposa. This one was firing arrows. I turned on my heels, dodging the arrows. All but one that landed in my shoulder.

In the middle of that attack, the other Mariposa rounded the corner, shooting another dagger. This one hit my torso, knocking me off my feet. I waited for more. More stabs. My death. But it never came.

***

Maeve

"There he is!" I yelled to Kalon.

He was cornered by two Mariposa, and he was laying still on the cold ground. I clenched my back, diving towards the first Mariposa. Unsuspecting, I managed to knock him to the ground. It took a couple hard punches to his face with my wrist gun on and he was knocked out cold. Meanwhile, Kalon shot her grappling at the second one, pulling the Mariposa close. She drove her fist down on his face, sending them to the ground.

She was always a bit of a show off.

I ran to Elyas' side and I didn't know whether I felt like hugging him or punching him when he looked at me.

He smiled. "My hero."

I clenched my fists, really considering the punching option. "You're such an idiot! What were you thinking?!" I exclaimed before letting out a string of swears.

I looked over his injuries, my eyes drawn to his torso where a dagger remained stabbed. I gripped it, about to pull it out. He grabbed my wrist, shaking his head.

"I think that dagger is the only thing keeping me from bleeding out, Maeve."

Kalon was at my side now. "He's right. We should get him somewhere safer with proper supplies before we try and take any of these out."

I looked at her, arching one brow.

"Where exactly do you suggest, Kalon?"

She looked at me with a grim expression. "You know exactly where."

I shook my head immediately. "No."

"Why don't we just go to a hospital? You can tell them I got mugged," Elyas suggested weakly, barely hanging onto consciousness.

Kalon scoffed. "By someone with a freaking arrow? Besides, hospitals down here want you dead too. They don't exactly get the best treatment from the government, Prince," she spat.

Elyas winced.

I sighed heavily. The HQ would have the best available supplies. Besides, if Azriel believed me, there would be no reason for contention if I went back. I looked down at Elyas, framing his face with my hand.

"I'm going to take you back to the tent. And then I'll have to get supplies from HQ. In and out job. Okay?"

He nodded.

"Pick up his feet," I ordered Kalon.

She did so as I picked up his head. We flew him back to the tent. I laid him down, his head falling in my lap. I shrugged my bag off, containing my old wings.

"Kalon, will you go? Someone has to stay with him."

Kalon shook her head. "You aren't thinking, Maeve. If I returned and was seen, and immediately left again with supplies, there would be more questions. You just reported to Azriel. They won't be looking for you."

"These Mariposa sound like dicks," Elyas added in a grunt.

I slapped his face.

"You sure you don't mind staying with him?" I asked, looking up at her skeptically.

She stared at Elyas, who grinned as handsomely as he could at her. "Does he bite?" she asked with a grimace.

He laughed. "Only if you want me to."

"Elyas!" I said, looking down at him.

"What? Jealous?"

I gripped the dagger in his torso as a warning. He slapped my hand away.

"Let go of that!"

Kalon shook her head. "Y'all are hella weird. Get out of here before I puke."

I nodded, easing him off my lap.