Chapter 6

Maeve

I went over the instructions once more in my head. They can't know you're coming. Not until we get there, he had said. Leave at 4:00 promptly, thirty minutes after us.

I checked the clock on my wall and nodded. It was finally time. I snuck out the window, reciting the next part of the instructions in my head. Dive straight down, don't stop until you reach the lowest tier.

Slowly I dipped over, allowing myself to freefall through the clouds. The brisk, cold air hit me in the face like a bunch of knives slicing through my skin. I fell through the middle tier, down into the lower tier. Right before I hit their streets, I flexed my wings, allowing them to catch me. Standing on my feet now, I looked down over the side. The next instruction was to fall farther down...

But all that was left was endless sky?

Gulping, I remembered him telling me to trust him and go. Tilting over, I dove further. As I dove, I saw something slightly obstructing the clouds. It looked like a skyscraper, but it was torn up and tilting like it was going to fall any second. I frowned in confusion, returning my gaze to below me. More and more, I saw torn up ruins of what used to be a city. Soon, I neared the streets enough to see what was happening. The one building in tact was a huge factory. Lines of people went in, chains on their ankles and their wrists bound up. Behind them was people with guns, most of them in police wear.

I caught sight of the Palos Verdes, they were standing in a group in a defensive position. A fight was about to happen.

Excitement filled me. I was hoping they were going to do something about this. Perhaps THIS. This must be our goal. This factory, this horror, must be the evil, the cause of all of these assassinations. I wasn't certain exactly what this factory meant, but it definitely didn't feel like it should be allowed to continue.

I came up behind them, landing at the back of the group. They hardly seemed to notice as they focused on their opponent. I peered through the group and my heart lurched at what I saw.

***

Elyas

Earlier that day

"Where are you going?" My mother asked me, watching me don my coat.

I snapped and my wings came flying. "I'm going to Veralis in Malachi's place."

Her mouth dropped open slightly. "And make yourself enemies like he did? I don't think so!"

I scoffed, starting towards the door. "I don't remember asking... Someone has to fight for what's right, since you refuse to end it."

She followed after me, managing to grab my sleeve before I went out the door. I spared her a look.

"Elyas, there will be consequences for choosing this path."

I furrowed my brows. Did she think me dumb? "I'm aware."

She let go, folding her arms over her chest. "I can't promise I'll be able to protect you from the consequences this time," she said, her expression grim.

I laughed, shaking my head. "Wasn't expecting you to."

Without another word, I dove, heading for Veralis. Once I touched down, immediately a group strode towards me. They weren't police, but from the looks on their faces, they weren't a welcoming committee either. I forced a smile, confidently striding towards them.

"Hi there, Prince Elyas here to oversee Veralis. To what do I owe the pleasure?" I asked, reaching out my hand towards the man at the head of the group.

The Mariposaजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें