Chapter 39

Maeve- Present

My heart was racing, and I could barely believe my eyes as Azriel stepped forward. I swear I saw the queen's eye twitch as she turned to regard him. Sunlight shone through the broken windows, shining a bright spotlight on the two of them as they stood in front of one another in the grand hall of the castle. The walls of the castle arched high over them, glistening in the sunlight and casting rainbow hues over the room sporadically.

"Your Majesty. The Mariposa are here, joined by the surviving Veralians to demand that you step down peacefully from the throne and allow Elyas to ascend. If you do so, we might spare your life. Refuse, and you will leave us no choice but to end your life."

Queen Nesryn crossed her arms, glancing between Azriel and Elyas. "So, is this what you have been doing all this time?"

Elyas laughed. "And what have you been up to, Mother?"

Her gaze darkened and she promptly looked away, regarding Azriel once more. "I am not so naïve as to think it is not possible that you kill me, Azriel. I know you and The Mariposa's strength is fierce, yes. It is not your determination I doubt."

She paused, turning to Elyas. She took long strides towards him, and I slowly moved my hands towards the guns now strapped to my legs, suddenly wishing I hadn't taken Elyas' only form of protection. She didn't stop until she was nose to nose with Elyas, glaring down at him where she stood several inches taller than him.

"If you think for a second that you can handle this crown and the absolute weight it carries, you're dead wrong. Everything I've done, all of the sins I've committed, have been necessary. If you knew half of the things I do, you would know the throne is not something you can sit in and remain innocent. It demands a murderer. It demands a coldhearted, stubborn individual. If you are not that way before you occupy the throne, it's claws will darken your heart and rot you from the inside out. I have been providing you a mercy by not relinquishing this throne to you."

I watched Elyas carefully, looking for any sign of his determination weakening. He was unflinching, glaring up at his mother. His jaw was set, his eyes piercing. There was not a single tremor in his stance.

"I am assuming this is you refusing to resign?" Elyas finally said, his voice measured and dark.

My blood ran cold as she reached her long bony fingers up and cradled his face like she wasn't preparing to kill him. "I cannot allow you to take the throne, my son. It is the only thing I can do for you."

The move was so swift and without hesitation, if I had blinked I would've missed it. Elyas shoved her hand away and immediately leveled her with a hard punch to the jaw that sent her flying.

"Attack!" he yelled, and the Mariposa were immediate in their following of his order.

I stumbled back slightly as immediately bullets started flying through the castle. The queen's soldiers advanced on The Mariposa but were halved in their pursuit as the Mariposa hovering in the sky shot them down. I spotted Kalon running alongside Azriel as they began weeding out the remaining soldiers in the castle. Horns were blown as more soldiers started appearing outside the castle as reinforcements.

A bullet whizzed by my ear, and I narrowly dodged away from it, shocked out of my paralyzed state. My arm was gripped tightly as Elyas dragged me away from the midst of the battle.

"Either fight, Maeve, or get out of here. Standing here like a statue is going to get you killed," he demanded as he dragged me.

Once we were out of the middle of the fighting, safe for now behind a pillar, he grabbed me and pulled me close, pressing his mouth to mine in a move that had me gasping in surprise. Out of pure instinct, I kissed him back, winding my arms around him.