Chapter 30

Elyas

The next morning, after allowing us both to prepare, we cleared out the main lobby for my duel with Ezekiel. I'll admit to no one that I was a little nervous. As unexperienced as Ezekiel was, I had been humbled a lot recently. And the idea of people watching me fight, like a weird sport, was getting to me slightly.

I wrapped my wrists, looking across the lobby at my opponent. Ezekiel was a wonder of physical prowess. Sure, he was on the skinny side, obviously underfed at the factory. But he wasn't lacking in muscular stature. To add to that, he was tall. Really tall. Standing at six foot six, he towered over almost everyone circling to talk to him.

He also was apparently popular as there wasn't one moment in which he wasn't surrounded by Veralians and even Mariposa. The women particularly seemed to like him.

Like an itch I couldn't help scratching, the thought had me looking for Maeve. A calmness settled over me seeing that she was by my side. She smiled at me.

"Are you ready?" she asked, her eyes glinting with excitement. It was obvious she was looking forward to this.

I averted my gaze, resisting the need to gulp down the knot in my throat. "Yeah, I'm ready."

Maeve let out a sharp whistle, calling everyone to attention. "If both opponents are ready, the duel can commence. First one to pin the other wins. No weapons, but there are no other perimeters. Prove yourself worthy."

Slowly, the two of us walked forward, meeting in the middle of the lobby. I raised my fists, bracing my legs. He did the same, his wrist resting against mine, the slightest pressure pushing on it. Just enough for me to realize what he was doing.

He was challenging me, his eyes narrowed as he looked at me. Slowly, I began to back away, circling him, assessing my opponent.

Apparently, he grew impatient with my strategizing, going for a sweeping kick. Leaping, I easily dodged his attack. As soon as I landed, I threw a punch at his face. He caught my fist, his other fist hitting my stomach with a strong jolt that had me stumbling back slightly. Before I could recover, yet another kick was sent my way, this time connecting with my head.

As I staggered, his kick not quite strong enough to knock me down, I realized where his strengths lie. As weak as his attacks were, he was much more limber than I, much faster.

Letting that realization sink in, I backed away, going on the defensive, lifting my fists to guard myself. Doing as I hoped, Ezekiel, ever impatient, closed in on me, letting out a string of short but sharp jabs. I blocked each one, observing the integrity with which he would kick. He was clumsy at best, his stance not strong. He would stumble every time he threw out a kick. The next one he threw, I moved aside instead of blocking, sending a strong kick to his back that knocked him down.

I lunged at him, fighting to pin his body that was several inches longer than mine. Once again, I wasn't nearly fast enough, as he managed to topple us over, so that he was now above me. Quickly he worked to pin me. I fought to keep my shoulders up, swiftly moving one arm between us as he moved a hand to pin it. I punched him as hard as I could in the stomach, sending him off me.

Getting back on top of him, I remembered what Maeve had said. Anything went? Forget wrestling a conscious person then.

I sent a hard punch to his jaw, knocking him out cold. Not dead. But asleep.

I slowly stood, looking away from the bloody face I was responsible for. Immediately, there was a mix of noises coming my way. Cheers. Just as loudly were some boos. Seeing a riot start, Maeve quickly came to stand next to me, bringing my arm up.