Chapter 8

Hazel opened her eyes to see Sid.

Hazel: Uncle.

Sid: Good morning baby.

Hazel nodded. She looked around in search of her mother but the atmosphere around vibed different. The usually contented atmosphere feels incomplete today. She couldn't understand what was going on around but she can feel a void.

Sid noticed her dull face. He was feeling sympathetic for her. He took her on his lap.

Hazel: Meri mumma?

She asked as tears brimmed in her eyes.

Sid: Aapke mumma and papa ko God ne apne pass bhulaya hai.

Hazel: Kyun?

Sid: God ke pass na important kaam hai bahut. Jo sirf aapke mumma, papa hi kar sakte hai.

Hazel (tears roll down her cheeks): Haan... Kaam complete kar aayege. Oppise (office) se bhi itta sara kaam karte the.

Sid (wiping her tears): Nahi... God ke pass bahut sara kaam hai. To God, unko apne pass rakhenge.

She was crying a lot. Sid hugged her, caressing her back. This little child is going through a lot. He was trying to console her but it was difficult for him to handle her.

In the meantime, Avni came out of the washroom. Akshit saw her. He can see her dull face and tear stains on her cheeks, her puffy eyes.

Akshit (hugging Avni): Be strong baby. Everything will be fine.

Avni rested her head on his shoulder. She closed her eyes, letting tears take out the pain she have in her heart.

Avni: Bhabhi... Roz vo aati thi mujhe uthane.

She sobbed hard.

Akshit (caressing her hair): Calm down... Tum aese rogi to Hazel ko kaun sambhalega? Calm down, baby...

Avni broke the hug and saw Hazel. She was crying in Sid's arms. Sid was trying to calm her. She went towards Sid. Akshit was with her.

Avni (taking Hazel in arms): Baby...

Hazel hug her crying.

Avni (sobbing): Shh!! Mere bache... Calm down...

Sid: Avneet tum shant ho jao pehle. Vo tumhe aese dekh kar aur royegi.

He took a glass of water from the nightstand and gave it to Avni. She drank water and calmed down.

Avni: Mumma papa to Hazel se bahut pyaar karte hai na. Vo log dekhege aese unki Hazel baby ro rahi hai to unko kaise lagega?

Hazel: Mumma papa god ke pass gaye.

Avni (nodded): But vo humare sath bhi hai. God unko sab dikhata hai. Vo log Hazel baby ko dekh sakte hai. Don't cry.

Hazel nodded. Sid filled the glass from the jug and gave it to Avni. She made Hazel drink water and calm her. She then got her ready.

After sometime

Sid's family came to Avni's place. Few relatives were there. They met with them. Avni sat with Sid's family.

Vibha: Beta tum theek ho?

Avni nodded.

Ram: Ye sab jab Sid se pata chala. Humara to dil hi baith gaya. Bhagwaan hi jaane vo kya karte hain.

Avni was looking down not knowing what to say. She was feeling like crying.

Vibha: Hum samajhte hain ye time tumhare liye bahut mushkil hai par himmat mat harna. Bhagwaan sab theek kar dega. Samay ke sath sab sambal jayega.

Ram: Aur tumhare sath nanhi si jaan hai. Samay thora mushkil jarur hai par bhagwan sab acha karega.

Avni looked at Hazel, who was silently sitting in front of her parent's photo.

They spent some time with guests. Avni went towards Hazel. She took her in her arms.

Avni: Chalo kuch kha lo.

She took Hazel to the kitchen. Zalak went behind her.

Zalak: Avneet?

Avni turned to see Zalak.

Avni: Ji di?

Zalak: Kya kar rahi ho?

Avni: Hazel ke liye dhood le rahi thi. Lunch bhi nahi kiya usne properly.

Zalak: Do main kar deti hoon. Tum baitho.

Avni: It's okk. Mein kar loongi.

Zalak took the vessel from her hand and put it on gas for boiling. Avni stood quietly.

Zalak: Avneet main tumhara dard samajh sakti hoon. Main usse kam to nahi kar sakti par haan jab bhi you need someone. I am just a call away from you. I know hum itne zyada close nahi hai. But if you ever feel you need someone, I am always there. I know can't take your bhayia bhabhi's place. But I guess mein almost unhiki age ki hu. I am elder than you. I am always ready to help you.

Avni nodded. Zalak boiled milk and gave it to Avni. She boiled for Avni too.

Zalak: Avneet ye lo milk ho gaya garam. Hazel wala thora thanda hone do baad mein pilana usse tab tak tum lo piyo.

Avni: Mujhe need nahi-

Zalak: Usne lunch properly nahi kiya to tumne bhi nahi kiya hoga. Thora sa hai pee lo. Agar apna dhyaan nahi rakhogi to uska kaise rakhogi?

Avni look at Zalak as tears brimmed in her eyes.

Avni (bitting her inner cheek): Bhabhi aese zabardasti milk pilati thi if kabhi khana miss kar doon to.

Zalak placed the milk glass on the slab and pressed Avni's shoulder and pulled her in a hug still caressing her back.

Once Avni calmed down. Zalak made her drink milk and then Hazel.

After some time, Nigams left except for Sid.

To be continued

Stay tuned for next chapter