Trackstar Antelope Volume 7

Chapter 43: Repeating Nights

I'm scared to fall asleep. I don't want to dream myself into thinking that anyone else is dangerous. The first dream was about Sam, the second was about the hyena. With all the emotional distress and carnivores, I encountered today, it could be anyone. It could be a dream about Dom pouncing me from behind, or Abe ripping me to shreds...

Damn it! I can't keep thinking about this, yet it's impossible to not think about it. A possum; right here in our little, remote town. The three responsible were caught, but... what if there are more out there, just like them? How long can I keep convincing myself that I'm safe in Whigata? Safe at school? No doubt that tomorrow will be bizarre for everyone, carnivores, and herbivores alike. I keep thinking that Riley will keep me safe as long as he's near, but he's been acting so weird lately. He's been actively avoiding me, and he'll need to be cautious tomorrow, because dingoes and wild dogs are usually the ones to blame behind these savage attacks.

On a more positive note, I guess I'll be going to Berriwan College in September, so I guess that's something to look forward to. I'm sure that I'd be safe there, no matter what happens. Coach Harris and the others would make sure of it...

~~~

I wake up the next morning, and the world definitely feels different. Although unlike yesterday, I know exactly why. Today is gonna be difficult, no matter who you are. I get up and have my shower, then get dressed and prepare myself for school. I walk into the kitchen and find Mum sitting at the coffee table. Weird, she's usually at work by now. Instead, she's watching the morning news, kicking her feet up and enjoying some tea.

"Hi, love" she says.

"Uh... Mum... What are you doing here?" I asked curiously.

"Work called today, and they recommended that I have today off of work, after... you know... what happened yesterday. I'll be able to take you to school this morning, and I'll call you at recess to check in on everything." She says. Seems fair, considering that Mum works in a carnivore-majority industry, but why is it that Dad has to go to work? He works with carnivores too, and why do I have to go to school? I'm vulnerable, plus things would be so awkward over the next few days.

"The school informed me this morning that there will be police officers on ground to ensure that everything goes accordingly. They say that sometimes multiple attacks can happen in a short period of time." She says. Just then, I heard a small buzzer go off. It's the microwave. I walk over and open the microwave and see a bowl of oats sitting inside, nice, and warm.

"I also decided that today, I'd be able to help you get ready for school, so I wanted to make your favourite breakfast." She called out from behind. Even though Mum won't be able to go to work today, she still wants to help me have the best day possible. Though she can't control what will happen at school, I know that I'll definitely be safe.

"The school wants you to be there early for information on how today will go. I've already set out brekkie, you'll just need to get your books ready, and you'll be set" she says.

Until about Grade 5, Mum would take me to school, and start work later. But from Grade 6 onwards, I would walk to school and Riley would meet up with me at the halfway point. Although considering Riley's shady behaviour lately, I've had to go back on this nostalgic trip with my parents. Given the current circumstances, it feels nice.

Chapter 44: The Jackal's Confession.

The time is 8:15. Mum parks the car outside the school grounds, where we can already see police cars stationed in the car park out front. A few officers are set up, with paperwork as well next to the cars.