Trackstar Antelope Volume 30

Chapter 272: The Tigers' Den

5:30 also seems kind of early for dinner.

But I guess Sam's family is a bit different to mine. We're sitting in Sam's living room, the four of us all at opposite corners. His dad is glued to the TV, obviously more interested in the footy. Sam and his mother are trying to engage in conversation, but things are so awkward. I don't know if this is something I do or just an herbivore thing, but whenever I'm just sitting down, not doing anything, I just prefer to notice everyone in the room.

I notice that Sam's parents both look fairly different. Sam's mother is quite slender, and noticeably shorter than Sam, and Sam's father is a bit bigger than he is. His dad is muscular and athletic like Sam, but he has a slight paunch. I guess that's normal for men his age though...

"Your horns look very interesting, if you don't mind me saying..." Sam's mum says after a while.

"Thank you. I waxed them last week when I was in Berriwan." I reply. I have to try and get conversation flowing, instead of just sitting down and not saying anything.

"That's right. It was vanilla-scented, wasn't it?" Sam asked me. Good thing he remembers.

"Yeah. They had all sorts of weird flavours, like orange and lime." I told them, remembering that they don't like those scents.

"Yuck. Well, you made a good choice there, Jamel." Sam's mum tells me "And can I smell mint on you?"

Conversation slowly picks up, but Sam's dad definitely doesn't seem interested. I guess for someone like him, it's best just to sit where you are, and focus on your own thing. I'm not bothered that he's choosing to be quiet. He had his own son taken away from him over something that he didn't even do. He was lied to and abused by a weaker force than him. If he was feeling spiteful enough, he could've wiped out hundreds of us smaller herbivores, especially those who believe that they should rule.

Instead, he decided to be the better man of the situation, and retreat to Whigata, hoping that he, nor anyone he loved or cared for, would ever have to deal with the same fate.

That, right there, is the definition of a strong, but silent man. Someone who refuses to get angry over something lifechanging. Sam kind of acts the same way as he does, so he's a very good role model for him.

We talk for a little bit more, mainly about running and the upcoming State Finals. Sam's mother seems really proud for me qualifying for the race in Durranga, even if it means that Sam can't go along.

When dinner is finally ready, I notice that Sam's mother definitely put effort into making a suitable meal for me.

"I can't remember the last time I had to make a dinner for an herbivore. Sam told me that antelopes have small appetites, so I'm sorry if it's not the best thing you've eaten." Sam's mother tells me.

A lovely, pasta bake is then dished up before me. The smell of tomato, pasta sauce and cheese fill the air. She still did a really good job, even if the cheese doesn't agree with me.

It's better than the crickets, at least.

"Actually, this all looks really nice. Thank you very much." I say.

We finish off dinner, and Sam and his mother move into the kitchen to do the dishes, leaving me with his father. Should I just sit here, and maybe check my phone, or awkwardly make conversation... as if he's gonna talk to me though...

"I was surprised to learn that Sam had an herbivore friend at his school." He told me. I wonder where this conversation will lead us...

Chapter 273: In Deep Trouble with "dad"