Trackstar Antelope Volume 22

Chapter 192: The Final Stretch

Okay...

Today is Tuesday, which means that there is only one day left of training until the big day.

Tomorrow, at 12:30PM, my friends, and some others who I have never met before will come along to see me race, and potentially make history as the first herbivore athlete in the District AND State Finals. But I'd never win against the likes of Sam. He came in third last year at the State Finals. If I came anywhere close to him, I'd be happy.

12 racers across 2 races and only 3 can win. I'll be racing against 5 others... I wonder what they'd think of someone like me trying to steal their thunder.

"Good morning, students of Berriwan College. It is 7:30AM and today is Tuesday, the8th of September. The current temperature outside is 12.3 degrees Celsius, and today's top temperature will be 20 degrees." I hear the announcement call. I open my eyes to see Kero, Sona, Paddo and Jeddi move off as if it's a normal day for them, while I slowly move out of bed in a daze.

"Gee Jamel, you look rough." Sona calls out as I stumble awake.

"Bad night last night?" Kero suggests.

"No. Sam, Coach Harris and I just talked about the race tomorrow. I came back here and went straight to bed" I replied. I don't know why I feel more tired than usual. It's not gonna help with today's training.

"Better hope you sleep well tonight. It'll be kind of embarrassing if you fell asleep during a race, or something" Jeddi tells me. He's right.

We all move along to get ready for breakfast. There's a lot to think about, and I'm not just talking about the race itself.

Newspapers, TV Stations, and the public will be able to watch my race. Who could have ever thought that a normal herbivore like me from some no-name town would succeed to become the first herbivore to make it to the District Finals? I'm so much smaller and weaker compared to the other carnivores, I guess it was a fluke that I got in.

Even with all my training, it would still be a miracle if I even got close to qualifying. Sam has taken his training seriously this year. I bet if he were able to, he'd go to the gym at 4AM.

Even if it wasn't for the race, I'm most worried about Abe, and his influence around Fassid and Masama... why are they trying to drug him? And why would they use something that would make him weaker?

"I wonder what's for breakfast this morning..." I hear Jeddi say

"I think I heard something about sourdough bread earlier" Paddo replies.

But I'm happy that my dormmates can come along to see me race, especially after Paddo told me how interested he was in doing sports as well. My main concern for tomorrow is Toothless Australia...

I haven't heard from them in a while, and if they're at the race, they'll definitely find something to write about, like how I deserve a head start, or how the carnivores are only chasing their instincts to hunt me down. I'm sure if I explain my feelings to Coach Harris and Mr. Selman, they'll understand. I don't want a repeat of what happened with their dumb magazine...

We enter the cafeteria and see some of our friends already sitting down. I see Sam, who's waving over at me, with Nalu and Tye next to him. No doubt Abe is gonna show up soon, and I'll need to keep my distance from him. I wave back awkwardly, as I sit down with my dorm mates. I mouth the word "Sorry" over to him; I'm sure he'll understand. Every now and then, herbivores like to be with their own friends... and away from potentially deadly grizzly bears.

"Oh, aren't you gonna sit with your other friends, Jamel?" Paddo asked me.

"No, I feel like hanging with you guys. Besides, I think we'll be waking up extra early tomorrow, so I wanted to see you guys before I head out" I say.