Trackstar Antelope: Volume 23

Chapter 203: Running on the Red Track

Alright, four months of hard work and training have led up to this moment right here, as I stand at the starting line at the Lavalla Running Track, destined to qualify for the State Finals. I look ahead to see multiple cameras set up along the fence line, with a few reporters standing near them. I guess that's what Mr. Selman was talking about.

The five other racers and I spread out along the curved starting line, all awaiting the signal.

"Good luck, Jamel" Maku says.

"Thanks, you too" I reply. I'm happy that I've been accepted by the others... I was kind of nervous that the others wouldn't appreciate an herbivore trying to undermine them. I look to my left to see the race officiator raising his hand above his head, holding the starting pistol. I then turn to see Sam on the sidelines, smiling at me proudly. I guess we both can't believe I got so far.

"Take your marks" The race officiator says. Oh boy, here we go... The others around me drop down around me, ready to race. The stadium falls silent. I hear nothing but my own heartbeat.

"Set." This is it... all my commitment has led up to this...

*BANG* goes the starting pistol, and we're all off. I practically leap out of my starting position, as if I was a long jumper. The stadium cheers us all on, and I see the cameras ahead of me pan around, as we turn and all fall into the inner lane.

I have to remember to pace myself, and not tire myself out too early, like I did at the school race. A part of me wishes that the hyena from the Aerodrome was here, so my instincts can push me further along, but we all know that's not a good idea. We pass along the back straight, where the hurdles are set up. They're all lined up in Lanes 3 to 8, with 10 hurdles in each lane.

Maku overtakes me.

Man, I can't get distracted now! I have a race to run, and a reputation to uphold amongst herbivores. I look ahead to see that there are two racers in front of me. Well, third out of six isn't too bad, especially if I end up finishing third, like Sam did. I'm only an herbivore, after all.

We come along the bend, halfway done with the first lap, and it seems like the runner in front of me is slowing down... or maybe I'm speeding up. Well, I better keep at a constant pace, because the other three runners are right behind me. I guess through all my hard times with carnivores, I'm no longer pushed by my instincts to run along.

As we finish the bend and straighten out to finish the first lap, I see Maku jet off, already finishing his first lap, but the other races are holding on close to me. I just hope I don't burn all my energy. But I'm not pushing any harder.

I cross the starting line again, starting Lap 2, and it looks like Maku is impossible to catch up to... no wonder he's State Champion. We move around the bend and across to the back straight, where the hurdles were set up. I can sense the other runners are a bit further behind, so I'm running my own race now

No time to worry about how everyone is. I'm halfway through the race, and I'm not stopping until I reach that line. I can still hear the crowd in the distance go wild. I guess I'm giving them quite a show

I move around the bend again, noticing the others getting fainter and fainter as I run along. I guess I'm really on track to win this thing! But if I want to qualify for the State Finals, I need to beat Maku AND the top three from the last race. Considering that not even Sam could beat Kevin, I doubt I'd be able to get a good enough time. It might just be Sam, Kevin, and Maku who get through to the next stage.

I cross the line a second time, entering the final lap. I quickly turn around to see the other racer about 50 meters behind me, and still going very slowly... and Maku halfway finished his lap, but I need to keep pushing. A man is standing on the side of the track, ringing a bell to signal the final lap. I must move quickly, maybe I can finish this race and get the best time possible, and then I can compare it to Sam's time. He'll be happy to see how much I've improved.