Trackstar Antelope Volume 32

Chapter 294: The Almanac's Text

"Alright, I guess I'll see you tomorrow, Jamel. Take it easy" Riley says as I turn off at my street.

"Yeah, see ya later, Riley" I reply. It'd be great if we could stay and talk for a bit longer, but I have something more important and interesting to do...

I'm so eager to check out the Almanac I received from Berriwan today. It's a draft sent by the Biology Room in the school, and I'm the only one in the world with this. It could change lives, revolutionise our society and help tighten bonds between carnivores and herbivores from across the globe. And I can't wait to get home and give it a read. All the amazing, useful, and interesting stats on carnivores across the globe, and I'll be able to use it to my advantage...

"Hi Jamel. How was your day at school?" Mum asks me.

"Oh, y'know... same old." I tell her. Coach Harris said that he was going to send her and dad an email about the almanac. But they can read that because I'm just so excited to read this entire thing!

I clear some space on my desk and set the large book down with a thud. It's made out of a nice, thick, pea green covering, with gold letters on the front, reading The Incomplete Almanac of Carnivorous Animals on the front.

I carefully open the front cover again, to be greeted with the first page, listing the four schools that collaborated on the book, as well as their national flag. Then comes the table of contents, which sections all species off. Canines, Felines, Avians, Reptiles, Bears, Misc., then Common Hybrids.

I barely even know where to start... so I guess I should just flip through as I go.

I guess I should read up on all the felines I know first. Things like black panthers, snow leopards, tigers... cheetahs.

I could probably continue reading on Black Panthers, the page I was on earlier today. Page 89, Panthera Pardus

Average Adult Height Range: 178cm-194cm (5'11-6'4)

Average Adult Weight Range: 73kgs-85kgs (161lbs-187lbs)

Speed: High

Strength: High

Jaw Strength: High

Predatory Instinct Strength: 52/100 (Moderate)

Known Preferred Prey...

Hold on.

Prey? As in... what kind of herbivores they like to... target? Is this really necessary for me to know? If my very own friends, who I trust and respect, are having these instincts to prey on me too?

Known Preferred Prey: Deer, hogs, boars, rabbits, birds, fish, goats, cows, antelopes.

...antelopes. That's not good.

Black Panthers, as well as large felines, are known to be quite friendly around others, and in some cultures, they dedicate their lives to showing good intentions. Herbivores are advised to approach unfamiliar panthers with caution and look out for any hostile signs (Refer to Feline Behaviour Guide on Page 57).

Oh, there are behaviour guides too?

~~~

I spend the next couple of hours sifting through what seems like endless pages of information. There's so much to learn, yet so little time. I learnt all about the carnivores around me, Black Panthers, Tigers, Dingos, Snow Leopards, Red Foxes, Iguanas, Brown Bears, Golden Jackals, etc.