Trackstar Antelope Volume 24

Chapter 211: Counting Down the Hours

I nervously count away the hours until we're needed at the stadium. I just hope that I can find Sam and explain everything before then. And I also hope that I can find Abe and somehow stop him from doing anything dangerous or dumb. I can't believe it's come to this, but I guess I must save my friends from something I barely understand.

And who would have thought that it had something to do with a simple jar of honey? What am I supposed to do with this? Throw it over his head? Make a sandwich out of it? Pour it all over my body so he can kill me quicker? If only Erica was here, then I could ask her about it.

"So, what kind of events are "Field Events", Jamel?" Paddo asks me.

"Oh, stuff like discus, high jump, long jump and javelin. I have a few friends who are competing in those events." I explain.

"Are these events more about strength than speed?" Sona asks.

"I guess so. In Long Jump, Triple Jump and High Jump, you get a runup, but it is more about jumping and strength with the field events." I reply

"What are your friends competing in?" Paddo inquires. I guess they really are interested in the field events.

"Well... Nalu's doing Long Jump. Uh... Tye is doing Javelin and Abe is doing Shot Put." I list off.

"I've always thought about trying Shot Put and Javelin." Jeddi says, while still working on his papers on his desk. I guess even Jeddi might be interested in becoming an herbivore athlete as well.

We spend the rest of the afternoon talking about events, until 4:30 comes along, then we move out to meet the rest of the school at the front gate, like we did this morning.

"Are you sure you have everything?" Kero calls out to us, before we leave. I know he was talking to Sona and Paddo, but I have to make sure that I have all my supplies as well... including the honey.

"Yeah, everything we need." Sona says as I sling my bag over my back, with the honey tucked away inside.

"Alright, we'll see you two later on." I say to Kero and Jeddi. "The events finish at 8, so we'll be back by then." I say, before closing the door.

"Alright, bye guys!" Kero yells from inside. The three of us then move out to the front of the school.

"Do you know how everyone else did today at the events?" Sona asked me. I... don't know. I should check and see who else qualified today.

"I might ask Coach Harris when I see him next." I tell them. We walk outside, and across to the driveway, where I see Sam walking along too. He looks up and sees the three of us walking too.

"Hey Jamel..." he says softly. He looks really confused and a little bit tired. How am I supposed to comfort him when he lost?

"Uh... hi Sam... how are you doing?" I reply.

"Amazing, Jamel. Something absolutely incredible happened to me today." He tells me. Hold on... what does he mean?

"What happened, Sam?" Sona asked him...

"I... I can't say. But I feel really good. Well done today, Jamel. I'm sorry I couldn't stick around to congratulate you. I'm really pleased that you qualified, even if it meant that I couldn't." Sam explains. What on earth is he talking about, he can't tell me why he's happy?

We walk towards the entrance, where we can see more of our friends at the front. We spot Tye and Nalu, who wave to the four of us. Sona and Paddo move over to them to ask all sorts of questions about their events. Sam and I stick behind.