Trackstar Antelope Volume 34

Chapter 315: Let the show begin!

A large, loud bang, followed with a puff of smoke flashed upon the stage. Everyone in the audience jolts up in surprise. As the calm winds blow across the stage, a woman appears on stage; a koala, dressed in a bright, colourful skirt. I think that's the drama teacher of Opal Reef High, the herbivore high school in Whigata.

"Hello everyone, carnivores and herbivores, welcome to the Whigata Shearing Day Festivals for this year" she says in an inviting voice. "Our drama teams across Opal Reef and Whigata Co-Ed High have been working very hard this year to produce a show to be enjoyed by animals; old and young" the koala announces "So, without any further ado, let's begin!"

The show hasn't even begun yet, and I'm already super intrigued... I can't wait to see it all unfold onstage! The koala moves to the side of the stage and begins narrating the story.

"Long ago, before society had even begun, there were carnivores and herbivores. Living together, not even aware of each other's existence. Before too long, they had found each other, and used the other as a means of protection and strength. Herbivore helps carnivore, carnivore helps herbivore."

Onstage, there are carnivore and herbivore actors, portraying doing deeds for each other, like lifting heavy weights and offering eggs and milk.

"Among the most important herbivores in the world were... sheep. Capable of producing a heavy textile, used in creating warm clothing for animals of all sizes. They're smaller than the average herbivore, so they don't need to eat as much. Sheep wool was sought after across all corners of the globe, and still is today."

Across the crowd of carnivore and herbivores working together, a small sheep steps out from among them, showing off some shorn wool to the audience.

"In 1857, a settlement had been formed along the Marlu River, about five hours North-West from the small port town of Durranga. This settlement is known as... Whigata. Settled for its rich, fertile soil, it proved an amazing place to live for herbivores... including sheep, and carnivores to help out with the labour of shearing them for their wool."

Buildings in the background are slowly raised as the carnivores and herbivores on stage move towards the buildings.

"These lands are amazing for our crops, and even better for our wool, egg and milk production for carnivores!" says one of the herbivores onstage.

"It's a wonderful, open and welcoming environment for all animals; carnivore, herbivore, big and small" a carnivore calls out.

"But tragedy strikes the golden lands of Whigata, as the state politicians in Durranga are fed up with the control of carnivores across the state" the koala narrates.

There are now two herbivore "politicians" acting on stage, leaning over a table.

"The carnivores have too much power and control over the country" one of them says

"If we aren't careful, we herbivores could lose our jobs and all our money! We need to restrict their control slowly and carefully, so they don't get wise..." the other says.

All the actors on stage quickly run into two separate groups: herbivores and carnivores. The herbivores are standing on a small platform, giving them more height.

"And eventually, carnivores, and herbivores, all across the state of Werrina, were segregated by 1902. Towns were divided, minority species had been banished from their communities, cutting ties everywhere, including in Whigata."

The herbivore group onstage waves the carnivores off, leaving just them onstage, to show them living in peace and harmony.

"And so, tensions between the carnivores and herbivores grew beyond segregation. The herbivore population grew rapidly, as it was seen as "the peaceful corner" of the state. Wool and crop trade still remained high, though there was almost no use for eggs or milk"