Trackstar Antelope Volume 26

Chapter 230: The Calming Coach and Cautious Tiger

I take my time with Coach Harris and Sam, sitting quietly and drinking my tea. I can't shake the thoughts of the Black Market and everything else I've heard today. It makes me feel weaker and more defenceless in a world of such power.

I sit in the corner, without making a sound as Coach Harris and Sam talk a bit more about something. But I'm not listening on their conversation... I'm observing them. No wonder their bodies are made to feast on the weaker; their large hands and claws make the mugs of tea look like thimbles. Between big sips, I notice their large fangs, which look even scarier.

I know that Coach Harris and Sam are both very athletic and fit, but I don't doubt for a second that their bodies could get even stronger if they had easy access to meat. It's scary to think that in a year or two, Sam will need to eat meat, despite how much he's grown to like herbivores.

Scary to think about

"It's getting kind of late." Coach Harris announced. "I think we should all head off to bed soon. We'll be leaving at 12PM tomorrow, I expect everyone to be ready by then. Before you leave, just know that if you have any follow up questions about tonight, be sure to ask me in private. I don't want others to know about our conversation, or else we will be in very, VERY big trouble, got it?" I check my phone; 9:18PM. Man, we were here for a long time. Sam and I get up and move towards the door, still shaken by what we heard. It's a tough world we'll need to grow up to.

"Oh, one more thing." Coach Harris tells us. We stop and turn around. "I don't want you to think that every single street in Durranga could be "the black market". It's still a very safe city for herbivores, plus it's very controlled. If you get anywhere near a dangerous spot, there will be locals there to stop you, and point you in the right direction, okay?" He adds.

"Yes, Coach." We both say.

"Very well. I wish you both a good evening. You should get some rest; it's been a long day." He replies. We then leave, seeing that the hallways completely empty. Anyone could learn about the Black Market and be afraid of carnivores for a long time afterwards, but... I'm not afraid.

I have no reason to be afraid of my own friends at all. Coach Harris said that the Black Market is there for moderation, not overindulgence. All my friends are very responsible of their own behaviours... Sam has always been incredibly careful around herbivores and things he doesn't understand, Tye always sticks by his friends, who would never go overboard on meat. Erica's always been very protective of her fellow students, so she would be responsible with meat. After everything that happened, with the blood and Abe, I'm sure he'll be very careful from now on, and Nalu? Well, it's a little hard to tell, with how young and immature he is, but I'm sure he'll be a fine carnivore when he grows up.

I just need to be cautious of those who have more than what they need... but I doubt I'd ever come across anyone like that. And if I do, Coach Harris and Sam will be there to crush them.

"Do you want me to walk you back to your building?" Sam offers.

"No, I'm fine, thanks" I say in confidence. I see Sam's tail and ears droop down. He says good night to me, before going back inside. That's strange, maybe he just wanted to be with...

Oh... I just realised what I said. I must have made it seem like I was afraid of him. I should have been more careful of my words. And now I'm all alone, outside. It's dark, and there's a calm breeze blowing across the front yard. It's just a simple walk that I've done a lot of times... and a journey begins with a single step.

I move take one step out, and still, there's no one around. I'm overthinking this. This school must be the safest place in the city... even if I was almost killed here today. I work up the courage, and then...