Prologue

Why is life always about hard work and struggle ? Why can't there be only happiness and love all the time. Only if it was so easy, life would have been so much better. No working on two jobs, no staying up all night, no money issues. But that life exists only in dreams.

"POOJA"!!

A loud voice brought Piya out of her thoughts. She was busy cleaning the kitchen before heading home when her boss called her.

She turned to see Mrs. Mehta glaring at her with her big eyes.

"In my office. NOW." Mrs. Mehta said and turned around and walked back to her office.

Uhhhhhh why God why? She was working the whole time and the movement she took a minute to breathe her boss had to come and yell at her.

She was tired from working the whole day and almost all the night. She didn't even have the luxury to take a day off. She was working two jobs. Sometimes three. Here at M&A's cafe she was working as an assistant chef but she could always use some extra money so she worked at a law firm part time and in her free time if she had any made some cupcakes for the bakery near her house.

Her whole family depended on her. And with her grandmother Sarita lying on bed for so many years, makes it even worse. She needs all her medication and care on time.

Thank God for her aunt Nita, who takes care of her and Piya just like her mother would have. Her mother...

'No let's not go there.' She was just about to finish her cleaning and head to Mrs. Mehta's office when she heard her call again.

Mrs. Mehta was looked beyond angry. She never liked any of the staff working here especially Piya since her husband and the actual owner favoured her a little and made a point to show it to her.

She didn't want to upset her anymore so she left whatever she was doing and rushed to see what her so called boss Mrs. Mehta wanted to talk about.

Well Mrs. Mehta was actually the wife of the owner of this cafe. She has no idea how the cafe works. She only likes to give orders to staff and make their life living hell.

Mr. Mehta on the other hand was a sweetheart. He is a good person and was there for her when she needed help. She can't ever thank him for all he did.

Piya stood outside the office, knocked the door and waited for the response. She knew exactly what Mrs. Mehta wanted to tell her.

She was late for work today. Like many other days where she had to rush home after her first job to see her grandmother. Her grandmother's health was getting worse day by day. She is able to provide her with the best medical treatment that is available.

She heard a faint come in so she took a deep breath, opened the door and went in and as soon as she was in Mrs. Mehta attacked her with her words as if she was just waiting for Piya to open the door and enter.

"Glad that you could take some time from your dreams and see me Pooja. You are the kind of employee who gets paid even for dreaming during your working time. Right Pooja?"

She just kept quiet and listened to her knowing well that saying something at this moment will only anger Mrs. Mehta even more.

"Well Pooja if I am not wrong this is the fourth time this month you are late for work. What does that tell you about employees work ethics. Hmm?" Mrs. Mehta continues leaning back in the chair she was sitting behind the desk.

"I know Mrs. Mehta and I am really sorry about it. I had an emergency at home." Piya replied calmly hoping she would understand and let her go this time.

She didn't have to explain to her about her emergency because she very well knew about her grandmother's medical condition. She had not told them about it personally, but one time Mr. Mehta had helped her in such situation when her aunt Nita had called and they had to rush her grandmother to the hospital.

Mr. Mehta had been the biggest support that time. He stood with her like a father all time. He even had allowed her to choose her time of work as she sees fit.

Which employers does that? He was a good man. That was the reason she had stayed here in this place for more than three years now.

But ofcourse Mrs. Mehta was not very pleased about it. Piya understood that and so she made extra efforts to work even more hard.

"I am not interested in your grandma tales Pooja. Don't you think its getting old now. You keep giving same excuse every time you are late. God only knows what you do in the name of your grandmother."

Piya could not believe what she was hearing. How can she say that. Her grandmother is the only reason why she was ever late.

"You know that's not true Mrs. Mehta. You know about my grandmother's illness." Piya tried to convince her but Mrs. Mehta didn't let her.

"Oh please! You are not that innocent the way you pretend to show everyone. You can fool my husband but not me. This is your last and final warning, one more mistake and you are out of here."

"But Mrs. Mehta…." She tried

"And for heaven's sake stop with that Mrs. Mehta thing. I am tired of telling you all people. I am your boss and so you all should call me Ma'am."

"I am sorry Ma'am but my grandma really needs…"

"You can take care of your grandmother all you want or do whatever that you do in your grandmother's name but keep me and my cafe out of it." She said and turned her attention to her to her laptop in front of her dismissing Piya.

"But…but ma'am….Mr. Mehta..." Piya did not know what to say. She continued at hoping she would understand her situation and fire her from work.

"Mr. Mehta is at his retiring age and he doesn't know what he is talking about most of the time. So I'll be the one to make the decisions on his behalf until our daughter is ready to take over when she thinks it is the right time to take over."

Anya. Right. If the girl could take her brain with her wherever she goes. How is she going to handle this cafe? She can hardly do something other than shopping.

If Anya takes over, M&A's will be doomed for sure. And if that is happening sometime soon it might be the right time for Piya and her family to move.

She composed herself and apologized again for being late and ensured Mrs Mehta that it won't happen again. She dismissed her without even looking at her.