Chapter 23

Piya made dinner as soon as they reached home. When it was ready she served them and all three were eating chatting in between. Piya wanted cook something special for Viren and it had not gone unnoticed by her aunt.

Her aunt obviously has teased her for that. She prepared dinner for them while her aunt told Viren embarassing stories about her childhood. She even went to stop her aunt in between only for the two of them to laugh at her.

Finally as the dinner was almost over she decided to tell them about her promotion.

"Okay. So, I have a good news." She beamed.

"Wow. Congratulations Viren. Kids these days work really very fast." Nita said and muttered last part softly but for everyone to hear.

Piya gasped at her aunt and Viren just chuckled at that.

"AUNT NITA! what… No! I got a promotion." Piya quickly made it clear embarrassed at her aunt's comment.

"And I got exited for nothing!" Nita sighed dramatically.

Piya gasped again at her aunt's behaviour.

"Okay, okay. So what are you now?"

"Well I got promoted to a Chef. I am a chef now." Piya told them with excitement. Viren congratulated her and gave a side hug from where they were sitting.

"So you were a cook and got promoted to cook?" Nita asked with a straight face fanning innocence.

"I was an assistant Chef and I got promoted to Chef."

"So what's the difference? Earlier you used to bake and now you will bake?"

Piya opened her mouth to say something but Nita continued.

"No seriously Piyu, I am confused. I mean look at me for example, when your parents got married I was just your father's sister. Then when you came I got promoted to Aunt and when you two will have kids I will be promoted to Grandaunt."

Piya choked on her words. She was shocked at her aunt's statement. She opened her mouth then closed then again opened and closed. She didn't know what to say to that.

She just excused herself muttering something like doing dishes and stormed to the kitchen embarrassed.

Both her aunt and Viren laughed at her behaviour. How can she say something like that. This is so embarassing.

Nita followed her with few dishes in her hand.

"How can you say something like that aunt Nita." She asked through greeted teeth loudly enough only for her aunt to hear.

"What did I say?" Nita fanned innocence.

"You know exactly what you said." She said narrowing her eyes at her aunt.

Nita smiled and hugged her kissing her temple.

"Congrats sweetie. I am so happy for you."

"And you couldn't have said that earlier."

"Oh come on where's fun in that." Piya sighed and hugged her back.

"Nice pendent by the way."

Piya blushed trying to hide her face behind her hair.

After dinner Viren dropped them both at the hospital and left.

********

Today was different for Piya. She had resigned from her first job to concentrate on her baking and spending more time with her family and Viren.

She messaged Viren not to come to hospital and she will see him in the evening as she didn't want him to leave his work just to pick and drop her.

After her working hours she was waiting for him. She called him but he did not answer. She had called him in the afternoon too but he didn't receive her call. She was about to call him again when Karan came out of the cafe.

"Hey."

"Hi." She replied not wanting to sound disrespectful.

"So you up for that coffee?"

"No. I have to get home early."

"No problem. I can drop you wherever you want. Come." He insisted.

"Thanks but I'll manage."

"Oh come on Pooja, we have known each other for almost three years now. You know you can trust me."

Without waiting for her reply he pulled her by her right hand. She panicked and tried to pull her hand but he tightened his hold.

He was pulling her towards his car. She didn't want to go with him. She tried to pull her hand out of his grip but he tightened it more.

She looked around for help but there was no one.

"Karan let me go."

She wanted Viren with her now. For the first time in her life she had started to trust someone in her life. But he was not here when she needed him. Was she expecting too much.

Ofcourse he couldn't be with her all the time.

Karan opened the door for her and was trying to push her in when she heard him.

"POOJA?"

He was here for her. She could feel her heart beat running wild. She stayed still didn't turn back. Tears filled her eyes. Karan turned to see who it was.

"Who are y..?" Before Karan could complete his sentence a punch landed on his jaw. He stumbled a little and let go of Piya's hand before standing straight.

"Stay the f**k away from my girlfriend or I won't be so kind next time?" Viren warned holding him by his collar and pushed him back.

Karan looked at Piya and then at Viren and back again at Piya. He didn't say anything sat in his car and drove.

"You okay?" Viren asked pulling her shaking body in his arms.

"What happened here and who was he?" He asked rubbing her back. She pulled back.

"He works at the cafe with me. He wanted to drop me home and I said no but then he pulled my hand and….I couldn't…" she started crying.

"Shh… It's ok. I'm here now. He won't bother you anymore."
He said once again taking her in his embrace. She just hopped he won't.

"I'm sorry I was late."

Once she was calm she pulled back.

"I was call….." her eyes widened looking at his face. She was so caught up with herself that she had not noticed his face.

"You had a fight."

It was not a question. She touched his cheek and he winced a little and she pulled her hand back.

"Hey it's not that bad. And if it makes you feel good your boyfriend won the fight." He grinned proudly.

She was not impressed.

"Who did you fight with?"

Viren sighed.

"It was not the type of fight you think. It was professional ring fight. Illegal but still professional."

"You said you work at your father's company."

"It's not something I do professionally. It's just a way to let off some steam."

"How often do you do this?" She inquired.

"Not often but sometimes. I can take you with me if you want to watch me."

"I don't like to see you hurt Viren." She replied sadly.

"I'm sorry. It's just that I had an argument with my father about something and I couldn't think of anything else. Can we please go somewhere and eat something I am starving."

She guessed he didn't want to talk about it so she let it go and agreed.

********************************