Chapter 21

Piya was really very happy today. Today definitely was the best day of her life. She could not explain what she was feeling right now. After so many years there was so much happiness in her life.

She was in the staff room keeping her things in her locker when she heard a whistle. She turned back to see Simran grinning at her mischievously.

"Who are you and what have you done to our little innocent Pooja?"

Piya rolled her eyes and ignored her comment.

"My my... if I didn't know I would have assumed you to be your non existent twin sister."

Simran came towards her looking at her from head to toe.

"Please tell me it's the same guy from the last night."

She continued getting excited. If someone saw her right now he would think she has won lottery of crores of rupees.

But how did she guess about Viren. Was looking that happy. She blushed and nodded looking at Simran who was waiting for her answer.

Simran squealed and hugged her.

"I knew it. I am so happy for you Pooja."

She said pulling back.

"I want every little detail of it later, but for now Boss wants to see you so hurry."

Her heart skipped a beat at the mention of the word Boss. She thought Mrs. Mehta was not in the cafe today. May be she had celebrated to early. She was definitely going to fire her today. Oh God what is she going to do if that happens.

"Mrs. Mehta?" Pooja asked hopping that it's not her.

"No not that witch. She went home to console her daughter. She even had a big fight with Mr. Mehta this morning."

"Why what happened?"

"I don't know much about it but Trisha told me the junior witch aka Anya Mehta was conned by her so called boyfriend of two months for ₹50 lakhs."

Piya gasped. "Fifty lakh rupees?"

"Yeah…he brought her a necklace with her credit cards and then took off with the necklace."

Simran laughed telling her about Mrs. Mehta's daughter. Anya was exactly like her mother. She always treats the staff badly whenever she come to cafe.

"But here's the fun part. To punish Anya for her reckless behaviour and to put some sense into her brainless brain Mr. Mehta wanted her to work under Mike but he straight away refused. So now she will be waiting tables along with us. Never thought I would see such auspicious day. Wish I was here to see senior witche's face." She laughed again.

"Now you go and see why Mr. Mehta wants to see you and I'll get back to work and see if I can find more juicy details from Trisha." 

Simran left and Piya went to Mr. Mehta's office without wasting any time. Mr. Mehta was a good person and he had helped her lot in her situation.

She knocked twice and immediately he called her in. He was busy with some files. When he saw Piya he kept the files aside and asked to sit.

"You wanted to see me Mr. Mehta?" She asked while taking a seat infornt of his table.

He smiled at her.

"Ah yes Pooja. I have some good news and some bad news for you."

"What is it?" She asked nervously. Hoping her job is not at stake. She prayed in her mind that it is not anything related to her job.

"Well the bad news is that Pooja you won't be working as an assistant chef anymore." He said with the serious face.

"What? No Mr. Mehta please don't do this. I am really sorry for being late and I promise it won't happen again. I can work extra hours if you want and I don't even want any weekly off please let me work."

She pleaded with teary eyes. What is she going to do now. Her grandmother was in hospital. She needs her treatment and her morning job was not enough to pay for the bills. Would she even get a new job in short time.

"Sorry no can do Pooja. I discussed this with Mike and he agrees with me. You will no longer work as assistant chef because….. I am promoting you."

"Please Mr. Mehta don't do this to me. This job is really impo..…you are…...what?" She stopped her blabbering and looked at him confused and just laughed out loud.

"Yes Pooja dear I am promoting you to a Chef. You don't have to work under Mike anymore. You can work on your own and make your own recipes. But ofcourse Mike will be in charge of kitchen like always." 

He pushed a file that was on the table in front of her and continued.

"Here is the contract I want you to sign. You can choose your shift and this is the salary I can offer you."

She looked at the cheque he placed above the contract file. Her eyes widened looking at the amount written on the cheque. It was lot more than the amount she made from both her jobs.

"So what do you say?"

Is this a dream? It has to be. She pinched her self to see if she was dreaming. This day keeps getting better and better. A promotion, salary hike, she can have recipes in her name and she will have enough time to spend with her family.

It all felt like dream and if it was a dream she never wants to wake from such dream.

"You can take your time and think about it and tell me later if you want." 

"No, no. I will sign it now." She took the pen and signed it immediately beaming with happiness.

"This is your bonus check from Mike and me for all your hard work."

She took it happily looking at it and tracing her fingers on the amount written on it with tears in her eyes.

"Thank you Mr. Mehta."

"God bless you child and you can take off today and start from tomorrow." 

"Really? Thank you." She smiled and went straight to kitchen to thank Mike. When she saw him she went to him and gave him big hug.

Mike chuckled and hugged her back patting her head. He always has been like the father figure she missed in her life.

"Congratulations kiddo. I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you. It's all because of you." She said pulling back.

"Don't thank me kiddo. You had the talent I just gave you the guidance."

"Guys." He clapped calling for everyone's attention and announced. 

"Meet your new Chef, Chef Pooja!"

He declared and everyone clapped and congratulated her. Mike even brought a cake he had made to celebrate.

She cut the cake and everyone wished her again getting back to work. Simran and Jia hugged her and congratulated.

Since Mr. Mehta allowed her to leave early she decided to celebrate her promotion with her aunt and Viren.