thirteen

Caine

"Caine!"

The American screams my name, her voice laced with unadulterated fear. I don't have time to process the fact that she just referred to me as something other than an asshole. And that it happened to be my name.

I lock eyes with her in the rearview mirror. The look of utter terror reflected in her gaze squeezes my chest.

"Simon! He's not breathing!" She gasps. I try not to let panic take root in me. Panic does nothing but make matters worse. Instead I take a deep breath.

"Do you know CPR?" She looks at me pleadingly.

"I...I don't know." She says, her voice cracking with emotion.

"Do you know it or not?" I say, my jaw clenched. I don't mean to snap at her. It's not the time to be playing bad guy, but that panic is slowly starting to make its way into my head. I cannot lose Simon. I had vowed to protect him. It was my fault he was wounded in the first place, he was not going to die because of me. I try to keep the panic at bay by changing my tone, hoping it comes out a little more encouraging.

"I need you to do CPR on him." She gives me look of trepidation before slowly nodding. She clasps her hands together and starts pumping Simon's chest. I am driving like a mad man through the city hoping against all odds that I don't get a police escort.

I'm glancing back and forth between trying to avoid oncoming traffic and trying to see if Simon's chest is moving. The American switches between pumping his chest and pinching his nose, filling his lungs with her air. It feels like an eternity before I hear a slight groan from the backseat.

"He's breathing!" The American announces. I close my eyes briefly, thanking God for taking pity on my dark soul.

I glance in the rearview mirror to find the American brushing Simon's hair back with one hand and continuing to put pressure on his chest. She locks eyes with me again. We short of just stare at other for a moment. We both know I'm too prideful, my hate for her running too deep for me to offer my thanks, so I simply give her a nod. She breaks our connection and focuses on Simon again.

My manor comes into view, two of my enforcers and Igor, our personal doctor, are standing on the front steps. Another figure is pacing back and forth frantically in front of them. Nadia.

Yebat. (fuck) I curse in my head. I was hoping she hadn't found out about what happened yet. I hit the breaks, the car screeching to a halt in front of them.

Nadia races towards us. She looks disheveled, her hair is in a braid, but it looks like she's been pulling at it repeatedly. Her face is splotchy and teared stained, her eyes bloodshot. I quickly get out, ignoring her as I yank the backdoor open. "Simon!" Nadia releases on a sob.

The American looks dazed as the two men lift Simon from her lap. Igor orders them to carry Simon upstairs, as Nadia tries to grab his hand. They disappear in the house, leaving me alone with the American.

She hasn't moved from the backseat. She's looking down at her hands, covered with Simon's blood. Her own blood on her face and neck. She looks like something straight from a crime scene.

She slowly removes herself from the backseat, her legs wobbly as she stands. Her eyes meet mine briefly before they flutter and then she loses consciousness.

I lift her in my arms before she hits the ground. Her dark hair spilling over my arm as I carry her up the steps into the house. I suddenly am brought back to the memory of me carrying her to my car right after I shot her in the neck with tranquilizer. I really have put her through a lot shit.

I carry her up the stairs into her bedroom, laying her down on the bed. I can hear Nadia screaming and banging on the door as Igor kicks her out of the room, probably preparing to do a makeshift surgery on Simon.

I glance back one more time at the unconscious American. Her full pink lips parted slightly, her long thick lashes resting on her rosy cheeks. She had saved Simon's life tonight even though he meant nothing to her. He meant something to me and she had saved him. I mentally take a mark off her long list of many reasons to kill her as I close the door.