thirty four

Maeve

After showering, I walk back into my
room to find a box sitting on my bed. I immediately recognize the blue satin bow tied intricately around the white box from the boutique that Nadia and I had shopped at last week. I approach it tentatively, pulling at the ends of the ribbons. I remove the lid and find the black floor length gown I had tried on in the shop.

I run my hand over the soft material before taking it out of the box and holding it out in front of me. It was just as beautiful as I remembered it being with the one sleeve and dipping neckline. I lay the dress carefully across the foot of the bed and reach into the box to find a pair of black stilettos.

An hour later, I was staring at my reflection in the mirror, appreciating the way the dress clung to my curves in all the right places. The midnight color contrasted perfectly with my pale shoulders and exposed chest. The neckline was low enough that the swell of my breasts peeked out from the top of my strapless bra.

Nadia had come in earlier and helped me with my hair and makeup. She had styled my hair in an extricate updo, leaving long tendrils of hair to curl around my face. My makeup was subtle, aside from the red lipstick painted on my full lips. I had assumed Nadia had gifted me the dress but when asked she only smiled and shook her head. This left only one other person who could possibly be behind it. Nadia must have told him about the dress. I tried but failed to fight the butterflies that erupted in my lower belly at the thought of Caine gifting me something.

Nadia agrees to meet me downstairs as I finish fastening the heels on my feet. When I am done, I take a reassuring breath in the mirror and make my way towards the landing of the staircase. I grasp the railing and slowly descend down the steps, my heels echoing on the marble.

I am met with Caine's suffocating dark gaze. He's standing in the foyer with Nadia and Simon, his hands buried in the pockets of his black trousers.

My breath hitches at the sight of him.

He's wearing a black bow tie, a white undershirt underneath a black jacket. His short dark hair is styled neatly, an unreadable expression painted on his perfect features.

He offers me his hand as I reach the last step. I place my hand in his hold tentatively, relishing the feeling of his skin on mine.

"You look stunning." He says in a low voice. He doesn't wait for my reply before turning towards a grinning Nadia and a confused looking Simon. "Wait in the car for us." He orders. Nadia nods vehemently, dragging Simon behind her out the door.

"I have something for you." He says, reaching into his jacket. He pulls out a black velvet box and holds it out to me. I take it from him tentatively, my stomach doing somersaults.

"You didn't have to buy me gifts." I remark, worrying my lower lip with my teeth.

"See it as an apology. You know for kidnapping you and holding you hostage." I narrow my brows, and look up to find an amused expression on his face. I soften at the sight of him on the verge of smiling. He does it so seldomly, a smile from Caine is gift in its self.

I bite back my retort and open the box. Inside is a diamond necklace. I take a sharp intake of breath, my hand covering my heart.

"Oh my god. It's..." I trail off. The necklace was encrusted with white diamonds, a single teardrop shaped diamond hanging down. "I can't accept this." I breathe.

"Why not?" Caine remarks, dark brows drawing together.

"This probably cost more than what I'm worth." I retort.

"Your life is not based on a dollar amount, and even if it was, you're priceless." He bites out. I didn't know it possible for a compliment to sound rude, but leave it to Caine to manage.