thirty three

Caine

I find her out in the garden the next morning sitting among my mothers roses. A week ago the sight would have set me off. I didn't like anyone touching what my mother loved. Watching her now, a feeling of something that resembles peace weaves itself around my heartstrings. She's got an open book on her lap, twirling her hair around a finger.

She looks up from the page she's engrossed in, her brown eyes meeting mine. I don't miss the way her shoulders tense at my presence. I can't help recalling the last time we were in this position, I had cut her with my blade.

I stand a foot away from her, my hands buried deep in the pockets of my tailored pants. I had come out here to ask her something but now standing before her, it seems silly and childish. My eyes fall to her mouth, slightly parted in question. I had nearly driven myself mad trying to ward off temptation, only to give into it the moment I laid eyes on her. She was a forbidden fruit presented to me on a silver platter and I was born a sinner.

"Have you had breakfast?" I ask, trying to prolong the real conversation I had come out here to have with her.

"Yes." She says lightly, closing the book and sitting it on the bench next to her. "Have you?"

I nod, shifting on my feet. I was never this nervous around women. I suppose I never had to fret over the possibility of being turned down. She could very well be the first woman to ever tell me no. The prospect made my chest tighten.

"There is a charity gala in the city tonight. I'd like you accompany me." Her eyes widen in surprise, quickly replaced by confusion.

"I thought I was forbidden from ever leaving the manor again." She questions, crossing her arms over her chest. I sigh, running my hand over my face.

"You would be under my watchful eye." I quip.

"How romantic." She says sarcastically.

"Forget I asked." I growl. I turn away and storm back up the path towards the house. I should have known she would mock me for my sincerity.

"Wait!" She calls out, tugging on my shirtsleeve. "I was just joking geez." She huffs. "Will you look at me?" She pleads.

I stomp down my rage before turning to her halfway.

"I would love to go with you." She smiles up at me and my heart feels as though it's thawing after a blistering winter. I want to back her into the rose bushes, and repeat the events of last night until we're breathless and covered in cuts from the thorns.

"See you tonight then."