twenty six

Maeve

"I'm taking you shopping today." Nadia states as she goes over to the window and jerks the curtains open, allowing the midafternoon sun to blind me.

"What the hell Nadia!" I groan, burying my head under the covers.

"You need to get out of bed and join the rest of the world." She scolds, wrestling the silk sheets from me. I give up and sit up in the bed glowering at her.

"I have nothing to contribute to the world at the moment." I sigh.

"You can't stay in this room all the time. You need fresh air and a shower, no offense." I smell my underarm and refrain from gagging. She was right, I was in dire need of a shower.

It had been two days since I had ran out of Caine's office. Two days of me doing absolutely nothing but sulking. This was the first day Nadia had been to visit me in some days and she was very displeased at the fact that I hadn't left my room in her absence.

"I want to show you around the city. Take you to a couple of my favorite places. There's this little restaurant that serves the best Praga cake." Nadia keeps rambling on about her favorite shopping places and Russian delicacies but my mind trails off.

I wasn't so sure that me and Nadia prancing around the city was the best idea. What if someone that works for Vlad were to spot us? They could easily snatch us off the streets and we would never be heard from again.

Or worse, we could be held hostage and used as bait to lure Caine out. Another, more rebellious part me was screaming to go with Nadia. To take the chance and have fun for once.

I had been secluded to this manor for weeks, I had never gotten the opportunity to see the city during daylight. I was only granted a glimpse of passing buildings as we were speeding through the city to rescue Simon. I push all the nagging thoughts to the back of my head and allow Nadia to drag me into the bathroom.

An hour later, I'm clean and dressed, following Nadia down the staircase. The house was seemingly empty aside from the sound of Irina clanging pots and pans around in the kitchen. Caine was probably out burning down buildings and pumping people's guts full of lead, or whatever the hell his "business" consisted of. We pass through the foyer and I spot Nadia's small sedan out front.

The sight of the car brings a deliciously deviant idea to mind.

"What if we took one of Caine's cars?" I say pausing in the doorway.

Nadia turns to me, her green eyes slightly slanted. "Why?" She says obviously confused at my suggestion.

"Why not? It's not like he doesn't have a dozen." I say, rolling my eyes.

"I don't know..." She trails off.

"You can say it was my idea. I don't give a shit." With that, I head towards the garage, Nadia right on my heels. I push the door open and flip the light on, the fluorescents kicking to life. I reach onto the panel of keys by the door and select one at random. The only car missing was Caine's Maserati, the spot empty from where he normally parks it. I hit the unlock button on the key fob and the lights of a Lamborghini Aventador flash.

"Holy shit." I breathe. I lightly trail my finger tips along its sleek black exterior.

"I don't think this is a good idea Maeve. We should just take my car." Nadia is nervously twitching behind me.

"Look at all this shit Nadia. He won't even notice it's gone."

"No he definitely will, he's very particular about his cars. I don't think anyone else has ever been behind the wheel of one these aside from Caine himself."