prologue

THE YOUNG GIRL quietly opened the wooden door to her small home, holding her head inside to see whether her mother was asleep or not.
Mina saw her, laying on the coach in her work attire, tired as usual.
The girl walked into the house, laying the grocery bags from earlier and her school bag next to the entrance to the living room with as little noises as possible. She made her way to the kitchen, preparing to cook for her and her mother on this rainy afternoon.
Suddenly, the voice of her beloved mother spoke up. Quiet, tired, exhausted, but there.

"...mina, love, how was your day, hm? Did anything exciting happen?"

Hori always spoke more lovely when she was tired. She also used more nicknames.

The girl flinched slightly, a small smile creeping up her lips as she saw her mother opening her eyes. She hummed before answering, just as quiet, careful not to interrupt her peaceful state.

"It was fine, like always. Asano made debate team, again, you know? He said he'd be happy to see me there again this year," mina told her mother, chopping up vegetables, her voice lighting up.
"how was work?" mina asked with a happy voice "Im making soup, by the way. I hope that's fine." she continued
With her calm attire.

Mina was always like this with her mother, they often met when she was exhausted from work, when she couldn't even get up for a glass of water anymore. Her mother did this for both of them, so that mina could have a sustainable life. They didn't have much: a small apartment in the outer side of Tokyo, an old car they had from an old (now dead) man across the street, and a scholarship for kunogogaika junior high which was only there because of mina's hard work as a student.
But they had one thing which was more expensive than any of those factors: eachother.
Hori loved her daughter more than anything else, and she would do anything for her.
It was the same way around, even when she often told her daughter to look after herself more. She didn't stop, never.

"sweetheart, listen.." hori started, sitting down with much work while her back arched in pain "you don't have to do this, please. I want you to focus on your life. On your education, on your friends, on, well, teenage girl stuff. I don't want you to miss that out because you have to take care of your mother all the time."

Mina ignored her mother's antics, turning on the stove.
"the green onions were 50% off today, isn't that great? I saw lady youko on the way back, she congratulated me for my good grades on my finals. Did you tell her?"

Lady youko was an old lady living down the street, she had a small well-known book store around town and lived behind the store itself. She adored mina, she reminded her of herself in younger years. She always joked around with the young girl, knowing her and her mother ever since they moved here. She helped them in hard times and always had a helping hand. Lady youko was around 60, single and very loveable.

Hori sighed at her daughter, knowing that she wouldn't listen to a word she said.
"Yes, sweetheart, I told lady youko about your transcript. She was just as proud as I was. You're a very clever girl, you know that, right?" she smiled, starting to let herself into the conversation. Hori slowly stood up, swinging around a little and sitting down at the counter, watching her daughter cook.

"Im going to sleep again, enjoy your soup, love." hori stood up and walked towards her bedroom.
Mina looked at her, worried.

"hey, wait! Mom! Don't you want to eat first? Just a spoon, please!" she yelled, taking the pot off the stove and mixing the soup around with the large wooden spoon while running towards her mother.

------------------

PLAYIST >>>

✮my love all mine- mitski
✮nothing- bruno major
✮not strong enough- boygenius
✮Birds don't sing- TV girl
✮Bejeweled- Taylor swift
✮lovefool- the cardigans
✮somethin' stupid - Frank Sinatra ["I practice everyday to find some clever lines to say, to make the meaning come true!"]

✮New romantics- Taylor swift
✮18- Anarbor
✮paper rings- Taylor swift
✮Bouquet- Ichiko Aoba
✮cardigan- Taylor swift
✮From the start- laufey
✮ karma - Taylor swift
✮line without a hook- Rick Montgomery

'iris' by the goo goo dolls !!

Authors note >>>
Yes this is a generic white girl Playlist but I love all of these songs and I will stand by that.
#helpmeimturningintoawhitewoman