Taking A Chance

You did what ?" Max's voice sounded shrilly and shocked through the phone. But there was also a note of amused held back laughter in it. "I didn't even know Lewis has a second number!"

"That's because it's for close mates only," Max's answering snort makes Daniel chuckles.

"Come of it, man." and now the laughter is really clear in the Dutch man's voice. "Well, I'm sure he has his reasons for it. Which can only mean that you shouldn't have given it to Britney." 

"Or it means I really should have. Maybe even sooner." The older man's response gets replied with a sigh from Max. 

"This is gonna lead to trouble, Dan." 

He rolls his eyes, even if the other male can't see. "orrrrr.... To happiness." 

"I guess we'll have to wait and see." There's a knock on his door and Max gets up, "sorry man, there's someone at the door," he still keeps the phone to his ear, "I might have to hang up on you..."

Daniel bites his lip, "you could also just send them away, whoever it is." He can hear Max's laugh and that's all he wants really. But then his heart sinks a little when he hears Max open the lock of his door and a faint, female voice can be heard. He hears Max's laugh once again, but this time it doesn't do what it usually does to him, cause the laughter isn't directed at him.

"Dan, I'm sorry," 

Yeah.... He was already expecting that. 

"I've got to go. See you at the next race." 

"Yeah. See ya---" is what Daniel replies, greeted with the static beeping on the other end of the line, "I miss you," is what dies out in his throat. 

He thought he would have forgotten about it, he really did. Kind of wished he had. But mostly wished Daniel hadn't given that damn phone number to him. 

Well, truth was, he had forgotten about it for a while; but when he slipped on his jacket that morning to go for a walk, he'd put his hands inside his pockets and his fingers had touched that damn little card and he remembered...  

Why hadn't he thrown it away? Why didn't he do it right now?

He literally had no answer to either of those questions.

"Yes Jense, I'm listening," he mumbled into his phone, but he really wasn't listening at all. He made the biggest mistake of his life by taking the number out of his pocket and leaving it right in front of his eyes on the coffee table. "No, just---" he pinched the bridge of his nose. "Tell Mark I'll be there tomorrow. No, it's no problem." His treacherous arm reached out as his body leaned forward, his even more treacherous fingers taking up the little carton. "Yeah. Bye."

Nico ended the call but kept his phone in his hand as he leaned back on the couch. The carton was placed on his knee, his eyes still trained on the phone number, fingertip trailing over every number individually for some reason. He already knew the numbers by heart, it seemed.

It wasn't like he was brokenhearted, he told Daniel as much. Yeah, him and Vivian had decided to 'take a break', but they both knew what it meant. They'd probably have to talk about a divorce... It stung, but it seemed inevitable. He'd been hurt before. More hurt than this divorce, as crazy as it sounds.

He was still hurting.

He still wasn't over it. Maybe he never would be.

"Try it. It might help you." Daniel's words still echoing through his mind.

He had to give in. That damn voice, those damn words, would hunt would hunt him forever if he didn't. The only thing was---what was he gonna send?

Don't think about it too much, just do it. That's what he told himself as he unlocked his phone screen again and opened his texting app.

To: Stranger

Um hey, 

I kind of need some advice

Have you ever felt like you were missing something (or someone) while you were in a relationship? 

Okay....That wasn't too bad --- right?

From: Stranger

Uh okay?

I think you texted a wrong number, man.

Wrong number? No. Just texting a stranger about his complicated love life. Why did Daniel insist this was a good idea? Why did he text? 

Had Daniel given him a wrong number then he was supposed to give him?

He put his phone back down. This was so embarassing...

He didn't know what to answer and he certainly didn't expect a text again

From: Stranger

The answer is yes.

I have felt that way.

To: Stranger

Oh.

I didn't expect an answer anymore.

Nice to know I'm not the only one :)

From: Stranger

You def aren't ;)

So, companion....Do you maybe want to give me your name?

Just so I can give you a name into my contacts.

Companion?

 Oh ---- OH

To: Stranger

I just put you as stranger :D

Nikolas is my name

From: Stranger

I like that.

But, let's not be strangers anymore.

Nice to 'meet' you, Nikolas.

My name is Louis.