The Other Side Of Things

Lewis had frowned at his second phone, his personal phone as he called it, when he saw a text notification from an unknown number. He thought about just ignoring and deleting it, but his curiosity had gotten the better of him.

The text had been weird. Weird but interesting. It obviously was a case of someone texting their friend but accidentally getting the number wrong. Or at least that's what it looked like. 

He was just gonna point that out. Say to the stranger that they got a wrong number and that was it. Yet somehow.... Somehow the simple message had hit a chord inside him. 

It was oh so recognizable... Because he had the very same 'problem'. There was always something, or someone, missing when he was in a relationship. 

It wasn't that he didn't love the person he was with. But, there was always this... Emptiness. Like there was a hole, no matter how small, that he just wasn't able to fill. 

He always kept that to himself, because he was very aware of how crazy that would sound to other people's ears. However - - - now this person had brought it up themselves and that one question hit so close to home,  he couldn't stop himself from picking up his phone again and texting the unknown number again. 

A small smile curled up his lips when he saw the other's reply. Yeah, he hadn't expected to text him back either. He wasn't going to tell him that though. He worried his lip between his teeth as he was searching for a way to keep this going for a little while. Asking a name would be fine, right? 

He full on smiles when he got an answer. And a name. But, then doubt struck. Was he really gonna let this stranger know his name? His job? 

No.... No, he really couldn't do that. 

So, he changed his name just a little. The 'American versionn' of his real name. It would be okay to give a little lie just to protect himself, right? 

It wasn't like they were friends. It wasn't like they would meet. 

~~**~~

It had been a couple of days since that faithful 'meeting' through text and he hadn't gotten a reply anymore since telling the guy - - Nikolas - his name. It was okay really. It's not like he'd expected them to keep texting. Though he had been intrigued... It was for the best really. 

Besides, he had other things to concentrate on. His hometown race at Silverstone right on top of the list. He didn't have the time to meddle with a stranger's personal life. Even if it did hit close to home. 

He was just sitting in Toto's office, nursing a tea in one hand, his other hand petting Roscoe. God, he'd missed him.                    Thats when his phone buzzed, alerting him that he got a message. Probably Toto, informing him that he'd be late. He didn't bother taking out his phone. Then it buzzed again. And again. He frowned and sighed, placing his tea down to take his phone. 

From: Nikolas

Hey Louis 

Sorry I didn't answer anymore, things got a bit... Hectic. 

I don't know if you even want to keep chatting to me but--- oh well. Still sorry. 

Lewis bit lightly at his bottom lip, lips curling up into a smile. The guy sounded so humble and kind. So unsure of himself. It was kind of cute. 

To: Nikolas 

Hey man

No worries! I totally understand. 

I wouldn't mind to keep texting with you. How are you doing? 

A snort at his feet was the clear indication that Roscoe wasn't impressed that he'd stopped petting him. Chuckling, he reached down to pet him again while he waited for a reply.