Only when it's over, the silence hits so hard

Daniel had tried not to think too deeply into it. It had been his own doing anyway. It was just to be playful.

He'd crouched onto his knees, so he was on the same height as Max was sitting in the sim chair. It hadn't really meant anything. Not even when he'd leaned in and almost whispered into his ear. It was all to have a laugh.

But then... Then Max had to go and say "ooooo yeah". It almost sounded like a moan. Daniel, for one split second, honestly didn't know what to do or where to look.

He was very grateful that Max was blindfolded so he didn't see his cheeks slightly turning red. Checo probably did see, or maybe he was too busy staring at the Dutchman in shock and surprise.

However he did check up on the other man and gave his hand a little rub, but that was more to make sure that he wouldn't tell Max about his reaction later.

Daniel didn't know any better but to just ramble on so he could finally stop explaining and fussing and they could finally start.

But that damn sound Max had made would probably stay in his head for a long, long time. Distracting him.

Damnit Max.

But hey, he still had an ace up his sleeve. His little secret surprise in the making.

Oh he was gonna get payback for sure.

Focus.

That's all he had to do really. Just put his damn focus on the race and not on whomever he'd met on the paddock thanks to Roscoe.

He still thought he was a damn traitor. Roscoe didn't give two shits though.

The pre-official qualifications didn't go that great, but they didn't count, so he wasn't that worried. He told Toto not to be worried about it either.

The last non official quali was done and they still got a few hours to go before the official one. Lewis spent it locked up in his trailor, cuddled up on his bed with the little traitor.

He took out his personal phone and started scrolling through it, answering messages from his mom and brother and a couple of friends.

Then his gaze got caught on one conversation in particular.

It had been quiet between him and Nikolas once again and for some reason, his fingers were itching to text him again.

To: Nikolas

Hey.

Been a while again.

From: Nikolas

Hi.

Yeah it has. Everything alright?

To: Nikolas

A little stressed?

Nothing I can't handle.

From: Nikolas

Stressed on a Saturday?

But yeah, I'm not much better off so I can't really comment.

Make sure to relax a little though.

To: Nikolas

Some people have to work on the weekends

Tomorrow evening I can relax

Hopefully

From: Nikolas

Ah. I'm one of those people too.

In fact, I have to go. Sorry.

Try not to stress yourself out.

To: Nikolas

Both in the same boat then.

Good luck, man.

Thanks. I'll try.

With that last text being said, Lewis dropped his phone back on the bed and snuggled with Roscoe.

Why was it so easy to talk to this complete stranger? He had no idea. But it was nice. Didn't feel creepy.

Maybe wrong number texts can lead to something good sometimes.