Chapter 10

Alfred woke up with a bad stomach the next day, in courtesy of Arthur's scones, but that didn't stop him from beaming and jumping downstairs energetically. All he needed was a large amount of coffee to drain all those unhappy chow inside his stomach.

He started cooking pancakes enough for the both of them and made Arthur tea out of politeness. He also fixed the table and feed Ace, his tomcat. The reason why Alfred was doing all of this was because he was excited. He couldn't wait to paint his fellow chap and a bubbling feeling won't leave the pit of his stomach until that.

"Good morning," A familiar accented voice suddenly resounded not far from where Alfred was crouching and the American rose up from his position.

"Good morning Art- What the hell is that, bro?" The moment Alfred's eyes landed on Arthur, he burst out laughing and unintentionally made the Brit pissed.

"What are you chortling about, you bloody git?" The green eyed man hissed.

"You dress like an old fella, you know?" Alfred said in between laughs as he repeatedly slammed his palm against his thigh. "I didn't know that a hot man like you could be a grandpa too!"

"Do you fancy a punch in the face early in the morning, Jones?" Arthur asked, the corner of his right mouth ticking frequently and his fists waiting for the other to say yes.

Apparently, Arthur's words seems to have sunken deep inside the American's brain for he ceased in an instant and chose to watch the tomcat greedily gobble his food. "I'm just kidding, dude."

Arthur huffed and sat on an empty chair across the American who decided to do the same. "I cooked this for us so don't be afraid to take some, okay?" The painter said as he pushed the golden brown pancakes towards the other, urging him to take some first. "I also made tea for you although I don't think it's the best one you've tasted."

Arthur blushed at his polite manners and he smiled softly at him. "That's very nice of you,"

"Only for the Brit," Alfred said.

They started eating their own share and they were only halfway to finishing their breakfast when Alfred opt to thank him for last night. "Oh, thank you for the scones by the way, they didn't really taste bad at all to be honest."

Arthur abruptly stopped his actions and he slowly lowered his fork down. His face began to burn as he reminisced the memories regarding the previous night. "O-oh, I'm glad you liked it." He stuttered while another set of perverted thoughts bang his head.

Alfred threw him a long beam and he saluted playfully. "No problem, bro!" He said as he gorged down the fluffy flat cakes.

The conversation ended as soon as it had started and the only sounds present were the clanking of the utensils. Arthur always likes a quiet environment but this one was driving him nuts. After he gulped down a good amount of tea, he decided to make a small chat.

"Alfred," He called his attention and the blue eyed man rose his head up. "Can you please tell me about your job?"

The man who was being inquired awkwardly shifted from his seat and he gave a small nervous laugh. "Why?"

"I don't know, I just want to get to know you," Arthur stated.

Alfred hesitantly stared at him but he sighed seconds later. "Okay then, but don't speak until I'm done, alright?"

The Englishman nodded in agreement.

"Me and Gilbert, my current boss, were best friends since high school and we both dreamed of becoming successful one day." He started but he paused to take a sip from his coffee and Arthur merely ignored the grammatical error, telling himself that he would fix that later after the man's finished.

"We promised to stay by each other's side no matter what happens and when we graduated, I instantly became wanted, but he wasn't lucky enough. Still, we pledged to work with each other since he has taken a liking towards my pieces.

"At the age of 22, Gilbert inherited his father's hotel since the good man passed away and he was the only one who was old enough to take over as the owner. I was only 19 at that time." Alfred paused when he saw the confuse look etched on Arthur's face and he laughed softly. "I'm actually advance and Gilbert kinda repeated his grade so that made us both graduate at the same time."

Arthur nodded at the newly learned knowledge and he urged the other to continue.

"Later, we both became successful and Gilbert decided to take me as the hotel's official painter. I was blinded by our whole pledge and friendship thing that I immediately said yes and turned down the other better opportunities. I even quit my last job. Well, I could say that that was one wrong move for me.

"Gilbert slowly changed throughout the years and he slowly took pride of my paintings, he even bragged it to everyone. He became greedy for money and fortune, and guests often choose his hotel for the 'awesome' artworks." He stopped talking to take another gulp of his beverage.

"He started being a total bitch, denying my 'unawesome' paintings if they weren't that grand and enormous. He even threatened to change me if I don't satisfy him by the end of the week." Alfred said but deep inside, he knew that Gilbert doesn't have the guts to do that or maybe he was just afraid to admit that his 'best friend' does have the guts. "So that's how it is, the main reason why you're sitting across me."

Arthur was quiet for a few seconds, waiting for the other to carry on but he figured out that that was the end. "Oh," He uttered, dumbfounded. "What an asshole."

Alfred laughed and clanged his utensils together. "Yep," He agreed happily but his features soften seconds later. "But he's a good guy to tell you the truth."

Arthur was unconvinced and he stubbornly crossed his arms above his chest. "I'm not buying it," He grumbled but something clicked inside his head. "Wait, didn't you say he would fire you if you wouldn't please his taste by the end of the week?"

Alfred unhappily nodded his head.

Arthur felt deep concern for the other so with clenched fists and firm gaze, he boldly said what he wanted to say.

"Let's start working, Alfred!" He said firmly as he rose up. "I don't want you to lose your job because believe it or not, you're too great to be fired."