Shade#317 (S15): Mind games

CUT TO: DOWNTOWN DISTRICT

EXT. DOWNTOWN DISTRICT - AFTERNOON

VANESSA AND EVELYN ARRIVE AT A PSYCHIC SHOP DOWNTOWN.

[Evelyn]

What are we doing here?

[Vanessa]

I need some answers, Evelyn. Something bugs me about To̅mi. I wonder if there was a way that a psychic could get me some information about here that I couldn't get on my own.

[Evelyn]

You don't even believe in this stuff. You made me stop using my 8-ball.

[Vanessa]

Get real, Evelyn. This is real life. We've seen zombies and lizardmen roaming the streets. There was a monster battle in that river! Maybe a quack could have something useful to say.

[Evelyn]

Or something even worse could happen. Think about it, if magic is real, would you want someone d-lister tapping into the occult? What if they screw something up?

[Vanessa]

Better than trying to navigate life the way Daddy wants me to. I remember when you saw the light, Evelyn. Even if I was a bit harsh, you knew it was for your own good deep down. Lots of people do. Some glorified babysitter gets it in her mind that she can defend someone I'm trying to set on the right path and my dad takes her side. The world is upside down.

[Evelyn]

Okay, Let's test it out. Just a fair warning, I might faint if there are any shrunken heads or dead animals.

[Vanessa]

Maybe this quack has a spare backbone you can borrow.

[Evelyn]

Hey!

VANESSA AND EVELYN ENTER INTO THE PSYCHIC SHOP, LOOK AROUND, AND SEE THAT THE PLACE IS ERRIELY EMPTY.

[Evelyn]

Okay, looks like no one is home. I guess we can go.

THERE'S SUDDENLY THE SOUND OF SOMEONE RAUNCHILY COUGHING FROM THE BACK OF THE SHOP.

[Old Woman]

(Gargily)

Oh, no you don't. You think you can get away that easily. I don't think so.

AN OLD, SHORT LADY WALKS OUT FROM THE BACK OF THE SHOP HOLDING A CIGARETTE IN BETWEEN HER FINGERS. SHE LEANS OVER TO SPIN IN A TRASHCAN WHICH GROSSES EVELYN AND  VANESSA OUT. THE OLDER LADY THEN COUGHS AND LEANS AGAINST THE TABLE.

[Older Lady]

Forgive my Smoker's Lung. It's got way more kick now in my older years than it used to.

[Vanessa]

Who're you supposed to be?

THE OLDER LADY TAKES A FANCIFUL BOW.

[Older Lady]

Many people simply call me a hag, which is nicer than most things I've been called. You can refer to me as Lady Lure. It's a pleasure to meet you.

[Vanessa]

I wish that I could say the same.

[Lady Lure]

Oh, I hate when I get skeptical wenches. They're so rude. Your girly friend there has $5 tucked in her cleavage.

VANESSA LOOKS AT EVELYN AND CROSSES HER ARMS IN ANTICIPATION. EVELYN TAKES THE $5 OUT OF HER SHIRT AND THEY BOTH LOOK AT LADY LURE WITH SHOCKED EXPRESSIONS.