Shade#321 (S15): Examination

CUT TO: DOWNTOWN DISTRICT

INT. POLICE STATION - MORNING

CHIEF ELDER APPROACHES A PODIUM, GLANCES AT THE SEA OF REPORTERS THAT STAND IN FRONT OF HIM AND ADJUSTS THE MICROPHONE.

[Chief Elder]

In this city, the police have had a recorded history of protecting their own. Through the occupation that we have undertaken, the creed that we all pledge to is that of protecting and serving our community. Often this line of work is thankless; people you would give your lives to protect despise you; seeing you as a buffer between themselves and solipsistic headways. It's laden with menial bureaupathology but even that serves its purpose. I'd be lying if I told you that I thought this job would be easy but most things that are worth it aren't easy. When you undertake this job, you are aspiring to act in good faith in every situation regardless of circumstance.

CHIEF ELDER JETS SOME PAPERS THAT ARE ON THE PODIUM AND LOOKS TO THE REPORTERS AGAIN.

[Chief Elder]

Framing a member of this society is not acting in good faith. Especially a member of this society that rose to the demands we would mandate most aspire to. We are launching a scrutinous investigation into Officers Kerr and Hull. They will be held responsible. However, I would be remiss if I didn't advocate for egalitarianism. We must strive to hold all of our citizens accountable. It's the only way to progress. My ambition is to see that all offenders of the law are held accountable regardless of their intentions, circumstances, or ignorance. This is the way we progress and how we will take our city back. Thank you.

CHIEF ELDER LEAVES THE PODIUM. THE SEA OF REPORTERS AND PHOTOGRAPHERS CONCURENTLY BOMBARD HIM WITH QUESTIONS OR ATTEMPTS AT OBTAINING A GOOD PHOTOGRAPH.

CUT TO: LATER, EAST BEDROCK

EXT. EAST BEDROCK NEIGHBORHOOD - LATE AFTERNOON

SHADE PATROLS AROUND A NEIGHBORHOOD, WITNESSES A DRIVE-BY SHOOTING ON A HOUSE AND PURSUES THE CAR. SHADE SCALES THE GROUND GETTING UNDER THE CAR, PICKS THE CAR UP OVER HIS HEAD, AND SLAMS IT DOWN ON THE ROAD ON THE ROOF. ALL OF THE PASSENGERS INSIDE OF THE CAR BEGIN TO EXIT THE VEHICLE AND SHADE USES SHADOW CLONES TO TAKE THEIR GUNS AWAY.

[Shade]

You don't have your guns and it might have been a fair fight if you did. Just wait until the cops show up—!

[Drive-by Shooter#1]

%^&* you, punk-ass nigga!

[Shade]

I'm telling you, this will not go well for you.

[Drive-by Shooter#2]

It's about to get even worse for you. Kill him!

[Shade]

...Okay, take your best shot.

DRIVE-BY SHOOTER#1 RUNS AT SHADE AND ATTEMPTS TO PUNCH HIM BUT SHADE SIDESTEPS EVADING THE ATTACK. SHADE HITS DRIVE-BY SHOOTER#1 OVER THE BACK WITH BOTH HIS FIST KNOCKING HIM TO THE GROUND. DRIVE-BY SHOOTER#2 PUNCHES SHADE IN THE STOMACH AND KICKS HIM IN THE CHEST. SHADE STUMBLES BACK ACROSS THE GROUND, CATCHING HIMSELF BEFORE HE FALLS AND BLOCKS A KICK FROM DRIVE-BY SHOOTER#3. SHADE SHOOTS DRIVE-BY SHOOTER#3 IN THE FACE WITH A SANDCLOT, GRABS HIM BY HIS ARM, AND THROWS HIM AT DRIVE-BY SHOOTER#2 KNOCKING BOTH OF THEM TO THE GROUND. DRIVE-BY SHOOTER#4 ATTEMPTS TO SNEAK UP BEHIND SHADE TO STAB HIM.

[Woman#1]

Behind you!

SHADE TURNS AROUND PUNCHING DRIVE-BY SHOOTER#4 IN THE FACE HOWEVER DRIVE-BY SHOOTER#4 STILL MANAGES TO CUT HIM ON THE SIDE. DRIVE-BY SHOOTER#4 GOES FOR ANOTHER ATTACK, SHADE GRABS HIS HAND AND FLIPS HIM ONTO THE GROUND. SHADE THEN PUNCHES DRIVE-BY SHOOTER#4 TWO TIMES IN THE FACE.