Check By Check

"Would you like some more coffee?" Cynthia offered, holding the pot of coffee out towards me.

"Thank you." I said, raising my empty cup infront of the pot. As she poured him some coffee.

The coffee felt heavy, like a waterfall that was concentrated on one point, that being the cup. The flowing coffee was imbued with her mana which fractured the cup.

"I guess we are doing this again. " my voice strained as I imbued my own mana into the cup reinforcing it.

"Indeed." her eyes was calculative, looking down on me. She didn't stop their, adding her sound attributed mana inti the mix intending to break the glass cup. More fractures appeared along the edges.

She is not playing this time.

I responded with my own sound magic. Dampening her high frequency with mine low frequency of sound. A slight hum filled the room.

The cup was soon full and she stopped pouring. She retreated the pot and placed to the side.

"It seems you haven't been slacking off with your training." she gave a closed eyed smile.

"Why would you think that?" my tone bitter.

The cup was slightly leaking from the cracks that had formed but I quickly repaired it, adding earth mana to duplicate the cup's material, fulling the cracks. I caught the leaking coffee with water magic before it reached the floor, putting the coffee back in the cup.

I won't admit it to her face but she makes better coffe than even myself so it be a complete waste if it was you know... wasted.

I took a quick sip, closing my eyes to better savor the taste.

"That's because I saw you and Claire the other day." she smirked. "She was half naked while you were touchi-"

"Youhr mulst bler imagineing stuff." the coffee in my mouth gradually emptied back i to the cup as I talked. My eyes still closed, the image of her appearing in my mind.

*pffft

"Did you just laugh?" my eyes shot open, scrutinizing her. I put my cup down not wanting to drink anymore.

"You must be hearing stuff." she countered with my counter. Her face impassive but her glistening. "But you must be more careful next time."

"As you say..." my voice dwindling. "Anyway, up for a game of chess?" I tried to distract myself. Also wanting to get revenge for what she had did earlier.

"Why not? Maybe I'll even win this time." she accepted my offer. "But first... Have you tapped into the Acquire Phase of your Beast Will? "

"I think so. If you count my physical appearance is any indication. But it seems it has a permanent effect on me or something." I said gesturing to my slitted eyes.

"Peculiar indeed." she said thoughtfully, closing her eyes and furrowing her brows. "Although, your whole existence is strange."

"I'll take that as compliment." I said indifferently. Arranging the chess board in between us on the coffee table.

.....

Sitting across from Cynthia, in her office for once. Resting my chin in my palm, leaning slightly forward. I contemplated my next move.

Not really.

Even if I was handicapped, she still wouldn't be able to best me.

My gaze traveling back to Cynthia, who was smiling eyes closed as if she already had this in the bag. The game just started so their was still plenty to go around.