Chapter Twenty-Six

Anfisa:
27 December 2021
Dear diary,
things took a turn for the worse again, I mean of course, that's my life. Why would anything go the way I want it to. For the second or third time this year I'm in the hospital again. Not because of me, because of Zachary. They thought his illness was gone because he got a heart transplant, doctors looked up the record. He didn't get a new heart, the doctors can't explain what did happen. But the people who did this scarring procedure to him, are fired and arrested for attempted murder. Thank God these people can no longer harm more people.
If 2022 doesn't get any better for me, I'm not sure I will be able to handle this alone. And I've learned the hard way that a mental hospital isn't for me. They are probably still out there looking for me, or maybe they gave up. I wasn't too much of a danger to anyone as the rest of this 'support group'. Kicking off this meds is harder than I thought, it makes me sick to my stomach. Not that I have much time to spent attention to this pain, there are a lot more hectic things happening.
I'm currently sitting on the floor of a hospital waiting room, the waiting room is extremely busy, so there aren't any free chairs available. Three full hours has passed since we rushed Zach to the emergency room still no update. They told me he was going into an immediate surgery to get the pressure off his heart. I'm not a doctor, but something like this sounds bad, there isn't supposed to be a pressure on your heart at all.
Dalton's hand is laying on my thigh, but the spark I once felt with him is far gone. The things he did, the Dalton that I knew would never do things to put me in danger. And I almost died because of him. I have no idea what happened to Dalton, but this isn't the sweet boy I remember anymore.

"What are you writing princess?" The way I just wrote about him doesn't match the way this nickname makes me feel. A block of nerves get stuck in my throat.
"Just, my diary."
"Come on let me read it." His eyes get a quick glance of it.
"That's my name, you're writing about me in your diary! I have a right to know." His annoying attitude doesn't match how nervous I am feeling.
When he tries to rip the book out of my hand I get up and walk away from him.
The cafeteria is pretty close here, not that I could get even a bite to my stomach, but everywhere is better right now then being with Dalton.

--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--

"Excuse me miss? Are you Zachary Wixx his wife?" The doctor in front of us asks. He is quite tall, and his closed posture doesn't help with the nerves at all.
"Girlfriend, yes." The shocked look on his face is priceless.
"He just got out of surgery and woke up, he is ready to see you." Without looking back at Dalton for once I follow the doctor.
"No, you stay here, he doesn't want to see you." I say to Dalton when he gets up with me.
"Whatever you say my lady."
"Do not call me that." The tone in my voice sounds bossy and angry, I'm basically just putting all of my anger and rage on Dalton.
He deserves this, he is the one who put us in this situation in the first place!
"Anfisa?" His weak voice says, slowly I step into his room. He looks even worse then he did last time. Tears are leaving my eyes, there is no bother fighting them for him.
"God... You don't know how sorry I am, I wish I knew earlier, I wish I told you as soon as I got the news he was alive, but I was so stupid and selfish and..."
"Shh, it's okay baby, it's all okay. I would give my life for you if I have to."
While crying I kneel down next to his back. His hand touches mine, they're ice cold. My heart leaps at his touch, it feels perfect, just like it always did and always has done.
"What's going to happen next?" I ask, afraid for the response.
"They will keep me on this machine that supports my heart a lot, until a new heart becomes available. Which can take months, because of my rare blood type." His mask drops for a split second, behind it is a sensitive guy who is suffering from this disease too.
"Anfisa, I made a mistake by breaking up with you, I shouldn't have let a person like you go, there is only one of you. And I would be a fool if I let someone else take you." Even in this much pain he is the sweetest person on earth.
"You don't even have to say more..." My breath holds as my face move closer to his. A couple inches is the only thing keeping us apart.
"I'm yours." The hand that was holding mine moves over to my back, and finally his lips touches mine.
I missed these lips like hell. The kiss feels like it lasts forever, even though it's just a few seconds.
Zach's eyes seem to catch on something behind me, rather someone. Dalton... With a face full of shock. But this time, I don't feel guilty. He put me through the pain of losing him, now he can handle the pain of losing me, forever. The little angel on my shoulder is telling me to go after him and hug him, tell him it's not his fault that I choose Zachary. While the little devil tells me, "remember all the pain you went through? That's because of him, would someone who loves you do that to you?" And for the first time I let the devil win.
"You and me Anfisa we're the end game, Dalton may be your first, but I will be your last." These words make him sound so much more attractive.
I kiss him again, and again, letting him only breathe for a couple seconds at the time. This boy is mine, he is all that I have ever wanted.
He acts out of love, not safety.