Chapter 8

One thing she wished she knew earlier was--

While words could be used to mislead and deceive, the images and narratives that lived in someone's mind could be even more deadly and destructive. And some people did not get the chance to escape their minds and their creations.

And this..

This is not true--

It was all in my head

Ceesta could feel the water all around her, the pressure and weight of the liquid still on her body, but she could breathe-- she could breathe!

Nang maramdaman ang pagkalas ng nilalang sa kaniyang paa. Hindi na niya ito binalak tingnan pa. She had a feeling that the creepy man below her was sinking, alone, and she forced herself to move her feet and arms together. She kicked and paddled, trying to lift herself to the surface. But as soon as she reached the surface, she had mysteriously fallen; head first, and hit the hard cement floor with a thud.

"Aah!!"

Unable to move right away: she curled and winced in pain, but it suddenly turned into laughter. Hindi alintana na para siyang nasisiran na ng bait.

The fact that she almost die because of her stupidity and stubbornness-- siguro nga dapat sinunod na lang niya si Apollo. But look at her now. She managed to survive.

Or maybe not yet.

She lifted her gaze. Malinaw kay Ceesta na lumangoy siya pataas sa ibabaw ng tubig. Ngunit habang tinititigan ang nakatayong pader ay tsaka lang niya na pagtanto na imbis na tubig, itong pader ang nagluwal sa kaniya at ibinagsak sa sahig.

Ceesta tensed-- may mga yabag na nanggaling sa kaliwa niya. When she turned, tanging dulo nalang ng boots nito ang nahagip ng kaniyang mata. Then, she remembered Apollo's statement: someone took the book bago pa siya magkamalay noong araw na 'yon.

Ceesta cursed under her breath. Ilang beses siyang napaluhod dahil sa panlalambot bago tuluyang maka tayo. Gaya ng inaasahan, wala na s'yang naabutan paglabas ng eskenita.

A soft breeze touched her bare skin as the familiar empty cobbled road at Grimmin Street greeted her with an eerie silence. Tinakbo niya ang daan. Ceesta searched through every alley, every trash can and crate, and every wall, but everything she saw seemed untouched.

Kamay sa noo. Pinadulas niya ito sa kaniyang ulo. Hinahabol ang hininga pagkatapos ng walang tigil na pagtakbo at paghahanap. Once again, ilinibot niya ang tingin matapos lumabas sa isang eskinita. It was an empty world. Almost like it had been abandoned.

Malayong malayo ito sa kaniyang inaasahan. Walang binanggit si Olia sa kaniya na kailangan niyang bumalik sa pangyayari para lang makita kung sino ang kumuha ng libro--- o may hindi na naman siya naintindihan sa sinabi nito.

Habang iniisip iyon. It made her blame herself instead. She dived into this offer without proper inquiring. Now, she wasted an hour, kakahanap sa magnanakaw at libro.

She had to find another mirror to get back from Olia's tent. Marahil hindi niya maramdaman sa kahit saang parte ng katawan ngunit tiyak niyang halos anim na oras ng buhay niya ang nasayang para lang sa wala.

---

Looking at the mirror felt quite uncomfortable, but Ceesta distracted herself by staring at her reflection in an off-shoulder, sweetheart neck, periwinkle ball gown.

Bagsak ang katawan niya pagkatapos mag agaw buhay sa salamin ni Olia, nang dalawang servant ang pumasok sa kanilang kwarto. Dala ang mga damit para sa kaniya at kay Apollo.

Mula sa ilalim ng kaniyang unan, kinuha ni Ceesta ang maliit nagarapon. Iyong kinuha niya sa tindahan. 'Tsaka ito ibinulsa. Gayon na maraming matataas na tao ang dadalo, nais niya na maging presentable. Hindi lang sa panlabas, kundi sa presensyang bitbit niya.

“What is that look, Cee?" she turned to face Apollo behind her. “You look extra stunning tonight.”

She scanned Apollo in a cravat tie with a blue tailcoat and black trousers neatly tucked into his dark brown boots. His inky black hair was also neat and clean, that showcase his thick and dark eyebrows framing his eyes and giving him a serious expression-- Even though he seemed intimidating, that only added to his appeal. Plus, point to Apollo, who knows how to carry himself with extra confidence.

Ceesta scoffed. Apollo complimented her like he did not say, “Look like you got run over by a mad mother chicken--”, earlier when she got home. She was worn out. At hindi naman niya masabi kung bakit siya pagod na pagod.

May parte sa kaniya na nagsasabing huwag na pumunta at ituloy na lang ang pagtulog. Pero mukhang huli na.

“May I..”

Apollo offered his arm. Ceesta could not help but sneer at how polite he acted. She had taken it, anyway, and they walked together to the ball to attend the celebration of the prince's birthday.