Chapter 15

The arch that was covered with moss some kind of plant was there, but there were no ruins that could be seen.

Tinawid ni Ceesta ang arko, inaasahang dadalhin siya nito sa isa pang mundo. Ngunit walang nagbago, walang lumitaw na bahay na gawa sa bato ang lumabas sa malawak na lupain, at walang senyales na may minsang itinayo roon dahil sa malalagong damo at halaman.

She could feel Aslan standing behind her but she didn't dare to move.

“I don't think the witch you said exists.”

If it was true, Ceesta couldn't think why would Olia tricked her. Pero maaari rin na si Val ang nanlilinlang sa kanila.

Hindi nila alam kung alin doon ang tama. Although this was not her only chance to find a way to leave, the time they allocated was a great loss and waste. They spent one and a half days, para lang sa wala.

Apollo's state was getting worse so even though Ceesta wanted to roam around, hoping that it was the wrong arch, they had to bring Apollo back to the palace as soon as possible.

Ceesta was stunned by how fast they reached the entrance of Fernwilds. It cost them just an hour, for sure, but unlike yesterday, they were like being played inside the forest and spent hours walking on the same path.

Hindi sigurado si Ceesta, ngunit marahil alam lang Malaga ni Aslan ang pasikot-sikot sa kagubatan at may mali naman sa impormasyon na ibinigay ni Olia sa kaniya.

But Ceesta remembered Olia's warning about Val being playful and silly. She sighed. She didn't know if she would believe it.

She watched Aslan's back and broad shoulders under his black hooded cape, asking herself, paano nito nalaman ang papalabas ng daan sa Fernwilds.

Then she recalled when he made a deal with them. Ceesta didn't know if she would still believed that Aslan was not allowed to roam without soldiers by his side after he betrayed them. But it did make sense if he sneaked to wander. He probably already explore this forest. He even bought an antidote that perfectly helped her when she got poisoned.

Isa pang ipinagtataka niya ay kung paano nalaman ni Aslan na dito sila sa Fernwilds makikita--

Alright, he caught her reading about Fernwilds. Pero ganoon ba ito kagaling para makuha ang ideya na tumakas si Ceesta para pumunta sa Fernwilds? Ibig sabihin bumalik ito sa kwarto niya para tingnan siya? But why would Aslan do that?

The lingering questions left unanswered made her feel uneasy, her stomach twisting in discomfort and her head throbbing in pain. She wanted answers.

Nang makarating sila sa palasyo ay agad na inutusan ni Aslan na ihanda ang kwarto para kay Apollo. While he was gone to get some antidote, Ceesta took the chance to sneak out the palace.

She went back to Olia's tent. Babawiin ang pera na mas magagamit niya sa mas kapakipakinabang na bagay.

“I never lie about services, young lady.”

She wanted to argue, to express her disbelief and distrust, to convince herself that Olia was lying. But she remembered how Olia had been open and honest about the mirror's service, and she could not just dismiss her words outright. However, anyone could lie whenever and wherever they wanted.

“Paano mo ipaliliwanag--”

Olia cuts in. “Hindi ba binalaan na kita? Val is untamed. Kapag ayaw niya, ayaw niya sa 'yo.” She paused to pick a goblet. “I will let you use the truth tent just to assure you that I am being truthful.”

“Truth tent? Anong gagawin ko d'yan?” She asked.

Olia sneered. “Ano sa tingin mo?” She obviously mocking her. “Hindi ba sinabi mo na may bagay na kinuha sa iyo kaya ito nawala? Bakit hindi mo 'yon subukan tingnan doon at nang malaman mo kung bakit hindi sa 'yo nagpakita si Val.”

May kinuha ito sa ibabaw ng lamesa-- ang pouch na ibinigay niya rito-- 'tsaka ito ihinagis sa kaniya. Kumalansing ang nag uuntugang barya sa loob nang saluhin ni Ceesta.

“I will not accept this anyway. It's all yours.”

Binanggit ni Olia na kapag may nakita siyang maliit na tent sa tabi ng saradong sweet stalls, iyon na ang sinasabi nitong magbibigay sagot sa mga katanungan niya. And she swore, she was been there before.

Ceesta didn't want to jump to the conclusion. She had to know the right answer first, kaya hinawi niya ang kurtina na nagsisilbing pintuan nito at kataka-takang bumigat ang paa niya nang i-hakbang ito papasok.

The familiar strike of pain and burning sensation in her head began, followed by images.

Nag simula ito sa tao na naka suot ng black hooded cloak, hawak ang isang libro-- the person went to an alley before removing his hood that reveals his white hair, and the familiar pair of very pale blue eyes.

Another image flashed. It was the same white-haired man again talking to a woman in a green floral ball gown he called Val. The setting looks familiar 'til she saw herself in a periwinkle ball gown a few minutes before Midnight attacked her-- The place changes again.

Ceesta was on the bed, and the other two people were talking; it was the same man and the woman in a green floral ball gown. Seemed like they were fighting before the room span. It brought her to the street. Then saw herself walking while a man was following her-- everything span again before she found herself in a room with the same man with white hair and icy blue eyes and a girl named Val.

Nang imulat ang mga mata, nahanap na lamang ni Ceesta ang sarili na hinahabol ang hininga. Nanlalamig at nanginginig ang buong katawan habang nakaupo sa sahig.

Mahigpit na nakakapit ang mga kamay sa magkabilang bahagi ng kaniyang buhok dahil sa hindi matigil na matinding sakit at kirot na bumabalot hindi lang sa kaniyang ulo, kundi maging sa kaniyang dibdib.

She was seized by a torrent of emotions, the storm raging within her causing her chest to tighten and struggle for breath. She felt like her heart would burst with the pressure building up inside. Too much for her to bear, until her body gave up-- Ceesta screamed in rage and anguish as the realization sunk in that she had been betrayed.