trust me - ransom drysdale

I’m going into that freaking house… Again…

I need to see Harlan because he’s the only one who can make me feel peaceful. 3 months ago, I cut all contact with the family because I isolated myself after I heard Ransom cheated on me and I didn’t know who to trust, plus that family is toxic. Everytime I came here, there were always arguments about Ransom, because for them, Ransom is the black sheep of the family, he’s someone who is spoiled by his parents. 

There was only Ransom and Harlan who I trust in this horrible family. Harlan is a kind old man who’s always here for me when I feel bad. He’s kinda my therapist. I told him all about my childhood trauma and he was shocked that I’ve been through all of this. 
He’s like my grandfather and I respect him a lot, like Ransom, but with him it’s different…

I knock at the front door and wait on the porch. I take a deep breath before I hear the door opening and turn around. 

“Oh my god y/n !” Meg comes to hug me, Marta and Fran coming behind her. I hug them and pull away. “We missed you so much…” She says with a big smile. 
I give them a weak smile and we enter the house that I call a mansion. A mansion because one day, I lost myself because there’s too many rooms
“How do you feel?” Fran asks me when Marta rubs my arm up and down.
“Honestly, I don’t know…” I sigh and look down. “I just wanna see Harlan and talk with him…” 
“Of course. We understand…” Marta says with a weak smile. 
“I’ll bring you your favorite to Harlan’s office…” Fran says with a big smile and I chuckle lightly. 
“Thank you Fran…” Marta leads me to Harlan’s office. She knocks three times on the door, opens it, and lets me in. 

“Ah, my dear y/n ! What a great surprise to see you !” Harlan stands up from his chair and comes hugging me. 
“I wanted to come here, I feel quite alone at my little cottage…” I say and chuckle. “And I missed you…” I confessed to him. 
“Ahh, I missed my chess player… But now, you’re here and we’re gonna play ! And that’s not a request !” He says and I laugh. 
“Okay, but only one game.” 

Like always, Harlan picks black and I take white. I really don’t know why he’s always giving me the white ones… Maybe for him, it’s a way to show how kind I am to him… I will never know… 
“So what’s going on in that pretty mind of yours?” He says when he starts to put his pawn. 
“I’m just feeling alone since Ransom cheated on me…” I say when it’s my turn to put my pawn. 
“Did he call you?” 
“He tried, but I blocked his number…” I say when we continue to play, he starts to lose his pawns.
“And you didn’t want to know his explanation?” He says when he takes my pawn. 
“I’m so heartbroken Harlan, he hurt me and I needed a break from him and the family…” I sigh and continue to play. He lost his rook.
“I see… He came here after what happened, and explained that he was drugged by his friend… He showed me the evidence with the blood test.”

He says when he takes my knight. 
We’re so close to the end of the game when we heard a car coming. And I recognize the sound, it’s Ransom’s beamer. I look at the window as he goes out of his car, the dogs jumping on him. I turn my head to Harlan. 
“You called him?” I say, a little frustrated. 
“I didn’t, probably Meg or Marta…” 
I sigh and stand up. “I don’t wanna see him Harlan…” 
“I know you don’t but you should talk with him.” 
“I’m not ready…” 

I say when I take my coat and start to go until the door opens. He was here, in front of me. The one I always loved and broke my heart. Ransom. 
“y/n…” He says with a shaky voice. He wanted to kiss me but I dodge his kiss and turn to Harlan. 
“It was nice to play with you Harlan…” I say with tears in my eyes. I brush past him and run to my car. I can hear him calling my name but I refuse to turn around. I kept walking to my car until I opened the door but it was quickly closed by Ransom’s hand.