Chapter 13

Em was due in a week. She was still concealing her pregnancy. The adoptive parents were coming in next week. Em was very uncomfortable and had been out on assignment all day. It was dusk. She'd just gotten into her car, when she felt her water break. She drove herself to the hospital. She walked in and went up to the front desk.

"My name is Emmaline Thompson." Em said. "I'm in labor."

As soon as she was admitted to a room, Em called the adoptive parents. They couldn't make it for two days.

As Em's labor progressed all she wanted was Sam. She was in labor for the next five hours. Em heard crying before passing out.

Em woke up two hours later. She saw from the clock on the wall that it was three o'clock in the morning. She knew she shouldn't but Em had an overwhelming urge to see her baby. She rang the call button for a nurse. The nurse came in.

"I want to see my baby." Em said. The nurse went to go get it, coming back thirty seconds later. It was wrapped in a pink blanket. Indicating it was a girl. The nurse handed her to Em and left the room. "Hi." The baby had a patch of brown hair. She opened her eyes. "Aw, you have daddy's eyes." "I love you."

After sleeping on it, Em had decided to keep the baby. She knew she couldn't give her up after seeing her. She called the supposed to be adoptive parents and explained. They were disappointed but they understood.

Em was feeding the baby.

"We need to give you a name." Em said. "Samantha." "I think daddy would like that." A few minutes later Em finished feeding Samantha. She cooed. "Do you think we should call daddy to?" She got her phone and dialed his number. To her disappointment she got a recording of his number being disconnected.