Chapter 1: This is All on Me

Int. Jermaine's House – Evening

The scene is a flashback that takes place 2 years before Jermaine's death and Akira and Jermaine are sitting inside of his room in his house, studying for an exam. Akira takes notice of Jermaine's black eye.

Akira Kurusu: Are you going to tell me what happened with your eye?

Jermaine Davis: Oh, this thing? Eh, it's nothing. I got into a little...altercation during practice today, that's all.

Akira Kurusu: Really?

Jermaine Davis: Yeah, it was after practice, actually. One of the players was harassing my girl, who showed up at practice to sort of watch me to my thing.

Akira Kurusu: Damn, you've been seeing her for a couple months, now. Could this one actually be serious?

Jermaine Davis: Shit, it's hard to tell. I've been with her longer than any of the other girls I've seen. That's a good sign, I guess. Anyways, the guy tried to harass her when me and her were talking after practice and even tried to lay hands on her.

Akira Kurusu: I'm guessing that didn't end well for him?

Jermaine Davis: I was pissed. I punched that man, without any hesitation and he did get a shot back. We tussled for a while until our teammates separated us. The coach scolded us quite a bit and said we were both benched for the next game. That's why I was kind of late for our study sesh...sorry about that.

Akira Kurusu: It's not a problem...your mom seemed worried about you, though. She was wondering where you were?

Jermaine Davis: Yeah, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before coach calls her and tells her what happened. My ass is seriously fearing the beating it's probably going to take.

Akira Kurusu: What happened to your girlfriend?

Jermaine Davis: She stuck around and we talked a little bit after practice and then went our separate ways.

Akira Kurusu: Was it worth it?

Jermaine Davis: Hm, what do you mean?

Akira Kurusu: Getting in a fight for her honor or whatever...was it worth getting benched for?

Jermaine Davis: Damn, I forget you have like zero experience with this kind of thing. Listen, I don't always have the best advice but when you find a girl and you really care about her, it's your sole purpose to protect her, my man. Not for her honor but because it's the right thing to do. Guys should always protect their girls...in my opinion at least.

Akira Kurusu: Huh, I guess I'll have to keep that in mind for the rare chance that I find one. Although, I'm not really much of a fighter.

Jermaine Davis: Shit, neither am I but when it came to my girl, I didn't even hesitate punching that man when he tried to touch her. It almost felt...instinctual.

Akira Kurusu: What if the shit gets you in trouble?

Jermaine Davis: In the moment, you won't even care about the consequences of your actions, trust me. It's...hard to explain. I'm sure you'll experience it one day. Enough about that, though. We don't have much time to study and if I fail this exam, I'm going to be riding the damn bench even longer.

Akira Kurusu: Don't worry, I won't let you fail. What page were we on?

Akira and Jermaine continue to study with each other.

Int. Tokyo Metropolitan Hiroo Hospital – Evening

The date is Friday, June 18th and the scene takes place back in the present with Akechi sitting inside of Hikari's room, talking to her.