Chapter 18: This Isn't Good At All

Int. Shujin Academy – Later

Makoto is sitting inside of the student council room by herself, working on her computer. The door to the student council room opens and Ann walks in, shutting the door behind her.

Ann Takamaki: Uh, you wanted to see me about something? Why did you call me in here like this?

Makoto closes her laptop.

Makoto Niijima: I wanted to talk to you in private for a minute, that's all. Please, have a seat.

Ann finds an empty chair at the table and sits in it.

Ann Takamaki: So, what did you want to talk about?

Makoto Niijima: To be honest, I wanted to apologize.

Ann Takamaki: Apologize...for what?

Makoto Niijima: I...know it happened a while back but...in that bathroom...I said that Shiho's suicide attempt was on you...that was...terrible of me to say. I was just...frustrated, that's all. A part of me always knew that there was something wrong with Kamoshida but...I just never knew it was so...terrible. He was sexually harassing and abusing students the whole time and if I would have acted...

Ann Takamaki: It wouldn't have mattered...

Makoto Niijima: Huh?

Ann Takamaki: Plenty of people knew about Kamoshida's actions...students...parents...even the principal...even knowing the full extent of his actions, they all did nothing about it. Even if you confronted Kamoshida or the principal about it, it wouldn't have made a difference. I shouldn't have blamed you for Shiho's incident either. You couldn't have possibly known the abuse she was receiving from Kamoshida...hell, not even I could and I'm her best friend.

Makoto Niijima: We were both blind to the truth.

Ann Takamaki: All of that is in the past now, though. We're both different, after our awakenings...our eyes are open to the shitty things going on around us. On top of that, now, we have the power to do something about it.

Makoto Niijima: You're right.

Ann Takamaki: Kaneshiro may be a mob boss...but at the end of the day...he's no different from Kamoshida or Madarame...an adult with a distorted heart that needs to be stopped, before he can hurt anyone else.

Makoto Niijima: Only we can do this...we're the only ones.

Ann Takamaki: Exactly.

Makoto Niijima: I have to wonder...what happens, after all of this is done...do we go our separate ways?

Ann Takamaki: Well, that's up to you, I imagine. As you've heard from the others, they all want you to stay with us...you've become a vital member of the team.

Makoto Niijima: What do you think?

Ann Takamaki: I think...that I was wrong about you. I thought you were just a stuck-up girl that looked down on everyone else but, at the end of the day, you were just as troubled as we were. I agree with the others, completely...you would be a huge asset to the team. None of us are going to force it on you, though; we'll leave it up to you.

Makoto Niijima: Thanks, Ann. I'm glad we could make up like this.

Ann Takamaki: Yeah, me too. Now that we don't harbor any dislike for each other, we can focus on what needs to be done.

Makoto Niijima: Right. After all of this...did you want...to hang out, sometime...just us?

Ann Takamaki: Hm, like a girls day out?