Chapter 26: Keep on Loving You

Int. Shujin Academy – Later

30 minutes have gone by at the dance and Akira, Makoto and Eiko are still standing on the side of the gym. Other students, that are on the side of the gym, are commenting on Makoto.

Male Student at Dance # 2 (Off Screen): Is that the student council president? I barely recognize her.

Female Student at Dance # 1 (Off Screen): She actually looks nice, for once. Although, it doesn't look like she's going to ever get on the dance floor.

Male Student at Dance # 3 (Off Screen): That ass, though.

Makoto continues to try and bury her face into Akira's shoulder. Makoto speaks but her voice is muffled.

Makoto Niijima: This is so embarrassing.

Akira Kurusu: Come on, you can't let them get to you. Besides, some of them are complimenting you. I mean...that guy is right...your butt is cute in that dress.

Makoto speaks but her voice is still muffled.

Makoto Niijima: Not helping.

The song, that is playing in the gymnasium, changes to a slower tempo song. Akira looks to his side and still sees Makoto trying to hide herself from everyone.

Akira Kurusu: Hey, let's go.

Makoto lifts her face out of Akira's shoulder.

Makoto Niijima: What are you talking about?

Akira Kurusu: We're going onto the dance floor.

Makoto Niijima: No, we certainly are not.

Akira Kurusu: Yep. We're going to dance for one song. Look, it's a slow song...slow dancing should be pretty easy, right?

Makoto Niijima: You don't know how to dance, either?

Akira Kurusu: Well, no. We can just look at what everyone else is doing and copy them. Come on, you won't be the only one making an ass out of yourself...I'll be right there with you.

Makoto Niijima: B-But...I...

Akira takes Makoto onto the dance floor as she, reluctantly, follows him. They walk past Ryuji and Ann, who are already slow dancing with each other.

Ann Takamaki: Oh, wow, look at that.

Ryuji Sakamoto: Are they actually going to dance? This should be interesting.

Eiko is still standing on the side of the gymnasium but she notices Makoto and Akira on the dance floor. She smiles to herself. Yusuke makes his way to the side of the gymnasium, where Eiko is.

Yusuke Kitagawa: Phew, that was tiring. Perhaps, I was having a bit too much fun.

Eiko Takao: You're...a pretty good dancer.

Yusuke Kitagawa: I know but thank you for your reassuring words.

Akira and Makoto stand in the middle of the dance floor, unsure of what to do. Akira starts studying what Ann and Ryuji are doing.

Akira Kurusu: Okay, I think I got the basics of how this shit works.

Makoto Niijima: You think?

Akira places his right hand behind Makoto's left shoulder blade, with his right elbow up, pointed to his right side.

Akira Kurusu: Okay, now you have to wrap your left arm around my right arm. Then, place your hand around my guns.