Chapter 8: It's Hard, Sometimes

Int. Niijima Residence – Evening

Sae knocks on Makoto's door to check on her.

Makoto Niijima (Off Screen): You can come in.

Sae walks inside of Makoto's room and she's at her desk, looking at her computer.

Sae Niijima: Glad to see you're up and around a little more today.

Makoto Niijima: Yeah, I'm...feeling a little better.

Sae Niijima: Sorry about earlier.

Makoto tries not to smile to herself as she recalls Akechi leaping out of her sister's window.

Makoto Niijima: You don't have to explain anything to me. Although, if it makes you feel any better, Eiko said that Akechi is pretty cute.

Sae laughs.

Sae Niijima: Yeah, he's a bit...uh...younger than me but...he can be charming, when he wants to be. I wasn't in my best mind last night. To be honest, I don't think any of us are right now.

Makoto Niijima: I know. I'm sorry, again, for everything.

Sae Niijima: Hey, none of this is your fault. I understand what you were going through. Everyone, including myself, was putting so much pressure and expectations on you. It must have been really hard to live up to all of them. I...didn't mean to push you so hard. I just know...how hard this world can be.

Makoto Niijima: I know you're doing the best you can, sis.

Sae Niijima: I feel the same kind of pressure every single day at the office between not being able to figure out the psychotic breakdown cases or my inability to track down Kaneshiro. Everyone has expectations of me too but, sometimes, I don't think I can live up to them, either. It's exhausting.

Makoto Niijima: Maybe, the two of us should be a bit easier on ourselves in the future?

Sae Niijima: Yeah, you're probably right. Makoto, are you sure you're okay? There isn't anything you want...

The two are interrupted by the doorbell to their house ringing.

Sae Niijima: Who could that be at this hour?

Int. Niijima Residence – Continuous

Sae makes her way to the front door and opens it. Akechi is standing in the doorway and becomes awkward when he sees Sae. He struggles to look at her in the face when he's talking.

Goro Akechi: Sae, I am terribly sorry for how late it is but I...just wanted to check on Makoto to make sure she's doing alright.

Sae Niijima: Uh...no, it's fine. Come on in.

Sae allows Akechi to walk past her and shuts the door behind him.

Sae Niijima: She's in her room.

Goro Akechi: Right. Thanks.

Akechi rubs the back of his neck.

Goro Akechi: About last night...

Sae Niijima: I...uh...think we should forget that happened for the time being. It was a moment of weakness on my behalf. I should have been more mature in the moment.

Goro Akechi: F-Forget about it? Of course...yes, I was thinking the same thing.

Sae Niijima: I'll be in my room if you need anything.

Sae walks to her room as Akechi makes his way towards Makoto's room. Makoto's door is open so Akechi makes his way inside. Makoto is now sitting on her bed. She looks up at him.