Chapter 8

Steele's POV

We finished watching the video. The teacher stood up and clapped his hands together. "Well can anyone tell me what this procedure does after seeing that?"

A Caucasian raised his hand and said,"It strengthens the bones, making them virtually unbreakable sir."

"That is correct. They do that by grafting materials into the bones. Though this procedure does not have a high success rate and is even painful while unconscious. That's why now they graft to the outside after the Spartan IIs." he said.

"Well, that's it for today, I'll see you next week. Dismissed."

We all filed out of the room. Coming from the back of the class, I looked back at him. He was looking at his roster, muttering under his breath something about underaged. Oh well, I shrugged, and checked my schedule on a small tablet that was distributed to trainees.

Man, I have drills again today. I sighed and dragged my feet.

Drills were my least favorite type of training to do that the moment. Since I was becoming a real spartan, I had to do 3 times the work as everyone else. If they did 100 push-ups, I had to do 300 in the same amount of time.

At least it's not like the first 2 years, I thought. During that time I really was pushed to the max. I did at least 10 times what everyone else did and was trained until I dropped, and I rarely dropped. They wanted to see what my limits were, and how successfully they could push me past them. I must have received enough training to make three Spartan IIIs.

I shook my head, those years were not pleasant but I am proud of what I can do now because of that.

While coming down the hall, the intercom came on and said, All afternoon drills taking place outside are canceled. There was a cheer throughout the hallway.

Thats odd, I thought. They would almost never cancel drills, even for holidays. Maybe today was an exception? I had a nagging feeling that something might have gone wrong, but as for what I had no idea.

I went back to my quarters and logged onto my computer. I absentmindedly tapped my finger on the desk, I hadn't had a moment of free time for a quite a while, and now I wasn't even sure what I wanted to do with it. I thought for a moment.

Hmm, I could always do some research. In battle most of the time the most mentally prepared opponent takes the advantage. As for what to look up... I guess I could learn more about my own planet. I knew a ton about Reach and Earth and Harvest, but I wasn't even sure how close to everything that our planet was. I did a quick general search and read the first description.

The planet's name that has the base Fort Cause on it is called Atrius. It has many facilities all over the planet and 2 oceans, Segha Ocean and Calid Ocean. Atrius is a colony planet used for agriculture and military alike. Neither field dominates this planet's functions, but both are seen as important assets to the core planets. Atrius supplies 15% of all agriculture to human-inhabited planets, a 14.9% increase from its previous .1% after the fall of Harvest. Atrius is also a pivotal military outpost for the protection and control of the outer colonies, as well as the first defense against threats towards inner colonies. This was also updated and their military functions improved after the fall of Reach.

It continued, but at that moment I heard a lot of heavy footsteps approaching from down the hallway. I turned off my computer and got up, opening my door to see what was happening.

Looking out my door, I had to bring my head back in to avoid getting hit by the butt of a rifle going by. The footsteps belonged to a squad of soldiers from one of the barracks farther down. They seemed to be heading towards the pelican bay.