Chapter 32

Don't forget to vote and comment. Enjoy!

Steele's POV

I grabbed an assault rifle from the rack, loading it and placing it on my back. I grabbed a pistol and did the same thing. one last weapon. I looked down the rows and spotted a battle rifle and a sniper rifle. What to choose... I walked over and grabbed the sniper rifle. I might need it later.

I packed up the rest of my stuff and heard Kade walk up behind me. "You good?" He asked. I paused for a moment. Then I nodded. He stood there for a moment, studying me to see if I was being honest. Then he nodded and walked into the pelican.

I stood there. Am I really okay? Physically yes, but mentally? I looked around at my team. They held the most feeling from me I had. I never learned to feel emotions, I had always suppressed sadness and kept my feelings to myself. I was never good at consoling others or comforting them. With my team it was easier but even then I was a closed door. We had all been forced to mature quickly. And Kyle, he was a rookie, he didn't deserve any of it, and neither did his teammates, or mine, Grayson and Sift.

I can't let anyone die needlessly anymore. That fight with those ODSTs and their deaths all those years ago was foolish and wasteful, just like Kyle's would be if they decided to kill him. No more unnecessary dying and suffering, I cant let anyone else pay for my mistakes and inadequacy.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by Selina's voice, "Senior, we're ready."

I turned around to see Selina with a battle rifle resting on her shoulder and a shotgun on her back. I nodded and put the sniper rifle on my back.

We walked up the ramp, me taking the pilot position this time and Scott my copilot. After Kade and Selina were secure, I closed the ramp and turned the pelican on.

The engine fired up and I checked all of the controls to see if everything was working correctly. "Status." I asked Scott. "Everything online and ready to go. Clear for takeoff." He said.

I nodded and slowly pulled back on the controls, the pelican rising. Then I pushed it forward and we flew smoothly up and out of the hanger. I didn't go very high since we didn't have a long ways to go.

The team was silent. Finally Scott spoke up, "Geez, someone talk about something, it feels like we're heading to a funeral with all of this silence. Anyone have any updates or something?"

I heard Selina chuckle a little through the comm "Well, I'm sure Kyle will gladly tell you the details of how the war with the covenant has been going while we were off on missions."

Kade snorted, "It's been going terribly, almost 6 bases have been glassed so far, along with 5 civilian cities. Apparently they have a mother ship in space but so far no one has been able to destroy it or find out which one is the real ship because there are six in a cluster with smaller ships guarding them. So far the reinforcements we got have destroyed a large amount of the ships that glassed the cities but the threat of covenant reinforcements still exists ." he continued but I tuned out. We should be up there, as soon as we get Kyle back we will but Scott was right, it did feel like it was a funeral.

I flew to the beacon the drone dropped on the last known location of the team. Soon enough we came up on the site. There was little activity, it seemed they were about to leave to go somewhere else. But they would need something to carry the crates.

I maneuvered the pelican above them, readying the guns. I opened the back hatch. "Selina, Kade, Scott, ground support, flank them." I commanded. They jumped out and rolled on the ground, pulling out their weapons and circling to opposite edges.