Chapter 26

Kyle's POV
I woke up to the first streaks of Dawn filtering in through the window. I sat up on the bunk, stretching out my muscles, cramped from me sleeping in my armor. I looked across to see the others also getting up and subconsciously reached for my rifle.

My hand grabbed air.

What! I turned over to see if it fell off but it wasn't there. "Guys! Someone stole my rifle!" I said, frantically jumping down and searching Grey's bunk too.

I turned around and saw them staring at me. "What? Come on help me find it! We need to report this!" They all had their helmets off and I could see Smith concealing a smile. I walked over and searched the other beds.

"This isn't funny, someone snuck past us and..." Wait a minute, Smith was keeping watch last. I whipped around.

"Where is it. " I said to Smith, folding my arms. He laughed out loud and Grey joined him. The others were smiling. "Very funny, now give it back." I held out my hand. Smith pulled out one arm that had been tucked behind him all this time and handed it over. I looked it over and paused. "Oh that's great, very funny." I said.

Smith had painted the rifle a bright girly pink with crude bows and had modified a small scope on to it. I looked at the crosshairs pattern, It was a heart with a target dot in the middle. There were snickers as I turned around to look at it. I turned back, holding it with my orange and blue enforcer armor still on. They all burst out laughing.

I stomped towards Smith and he said between fits of laughter, "Grey helped me do it." I ran at him and he ducked behind Henderson, still laughing. I ran around Henderson and cornered him. The team stepped in and held me back, the laughter wearing off but still smiling. Smith chuckled a few more times.

"Come on man, now I have to repaint it, I'll be spotted a mile away." I said, picking up the rifle from where I had tossed on the bed with disgust. Henderson grabbed his rifle. "Come on guys, now that we've had our fun we have to go on patrol with Who I have found is officially classified as White team." Fancy  "We will start patrol while Kyle cleans up his rifle. And forget the scope, just make the rest of it combat fit." He said to me. My shoulders sagged and I nodded. Man.

"Speaking of names, we are officially classified as a Fireteam so we earned the name Fireteam Prime. You will respond and identify as this name. We have a lot of ground to cover so move out Prime." He said. I grabbed the rifle and made my way towards the armory. They headed the opposite way to where White team was waiting, but stopped and ducked into a room for a moment before coming back out. Something was said and they all nodded.

I walked around a corner grumbling. "Stupid Smith."

______________________

Steele's POV

I looked up from cleaning my rifle at the first streaks of dawn starting to show above the horizon. We had been up for a while now and we're ready to leave on patrol, having eaten already. I dimly heard the sounds of Fireteam Prime awakening in the quiet morning air. I guess their watch didn't want to wake them up. We usually automatically woke up at 0500 hours now, a habit from training.

I heard quiet whispers, catching a few words. "Kyle...Employer...stick to the plan..." They cut off as Kyle woke up. The rest of my team was up now, only hearing Prime's laughter at something since their hearing wasn't as sensitive as mine.

I rose quickly, sliding my magazine into my assault rifle with a satisfying click! I put it on my back and said, "Let's go." We walked out of the tower, a guard standing at the bottom looking at us with awe as we came down for him to replace us. I always hated people thinking we were more than they were or some big heroes. We just want to do our job, we earn no more glory than they do.