Chapter 35

Sorry for the wait, here you go! Btw, special thanks to _tOtAl_FrEaK_  for being my 800th vote! Thank you all for your votes and support, if this reaches 900 votes then I will update the day it does.

I tossed a grenade ahead of the group of covenant. It exploded, throwing a group of grunts. They simply disregarded the dead and kept going.

I need to cut them off before they reach the base. They weren't moving much, more like retreating and ducking behind cover to fire a few shots before running back to another piece of cover. This was the section of the city with scattered houses, leading to open ground. That was the main road to the gates of the base, not a mile from our position.

I ran faster, signaling Scott and Selina to follow. We passed large groups of covenant, dodging shots flung at us from every which way. They were getting closer to the base, a banshee even directly heading towards the base. Soldiers ahead of them were running ahead and shooting backwards every so often. My guess would be that the covenant were ordered to kill any forces that might have a chance to stop them, including me.

I looked to my side again where Scott and Selina were running and signalled them to move up to the left. We sprinted faster and quickly passed most of the covenant, taking out a few faster Elites and dodging a few shots by scattered forces that hid behind barriers or crouched in ditches.

We passed the rest of them quickly and left the confused group of covenant behind to chase the marines. I skidded to a stop at the gate and quickly scanned my identification to let me in.

A soldier at the entrance watched me go by curiously, looked at the oncoming covenant, and quickly ran inside his post to sound a warning. Most of the soldiers had helped in the city but so far the fighting had not been at the base. They didn't want to follow protocol to destroy the data if it wasn't necessary.

The Covenant approached the gates, taking cover from the few turrets on the wall and fighting marines still on the ground. I spotted an open turret on the wall and moved to my left. I crouched and jumped, flying high up onto the wall next to the turret. I quickly moved behind the turret, placed my rifle on my back, and grabbed the handles. I fired into the covenant that were approaching. An unlucky group of grunts and an Elite trapping a marine were soon obliterated.

I took out the front lines, but they were quickly replaced. Risking a glance to the side of the road, I spotted a few Elites tucking into the forest. I tilted my head in confusion... and then stepped back as a plasma grenade flew up straight towards the turret.

I quickly tore it off of it's stand and used my thrusters to push me to one side. The grenade exploded and my HUD wavered slightly as the electrical charge passed over me. I stood from where I had fallen and turned the now-portable turret to the trees, laying down a stream of fire into the foliage.

The bark from the trees splintered off, deadly shard flying everywhere. There was a sangheili growl of pain but it cut short. I stopped and turned back to the main force, satisfied that the Elite was dead.

Selina and Scott were on other parts of the wall, Scott on the other side, sniping some of the Elites or the few vehicle drivers.

The other soldiers were on the wall firing as well. I looked over to see only about ten or twenty troops beside me. I laid suppression fire on the advancing forces and yelled to a soldier next to me. "Where are the rest of your troops?"

"They went to help fight off the covenant in the city, the others are inside deleting data or dead."

"How long will that take?"