Chapter 37

Thank you Crab282 for being my 900th vote!!! Thank you all who vote including Pyroholiday and DisneyNerd92 I have decided that each chapter I will recognize a new person for commenting or voting a lot on my story. Sharing it is even better. Enjoy!! Ps. Sorry for the long wait, next chapter will be up in a few days, I had written it here previously but a scene dragged on longer than expected.
________
I landed on the metal strewn floor with a solid thunk! Four more thunk!s followed as the team jumped down from the pelican. I immediately raised my rifle, scanning the area for contacts. I spotted a contact and shot it, a grunt running in the entrance, and waved my team forwards. We weaved through the wreckage, me taking point and Kade watching our escape.

I stepped over a piece of a ghost's small, purple, triangular vehicle wing and scanned the wall in front of us for an access tunnel. Selina gestured to me and pointed to my left. There was a large purple door with a round top that split in the middle. I walked up to it and it opened automatically. Quickly scanning the tunnel, I lowered my rifle. "Clear" I whispered. Kade let out a short burst as another grunt ran through the main opening into the hangar. I waved my team ahead and scanned the room behind us before walking back up front.

Selina and Scott were next to me and slightly behind. I rounded a corner to my right and checked my map at the intersection. Kyle was on an upper level and there was a lift a few turns down my left. I checked the three passages and turned left. My team did the same and followed closely. Selina shot a grunt waddling through a separate entrance. She dragged the body against the wall and we continued.

After a few more turns I paused. There had been little to no contacts. There was one more unsuspecting grunt but other than that, nothing. I checked my motion tracker for the twentieth time and once again saw no movement in neighboring hallways.

"Something doesn't feel right." Kade remarked. I nodded.

"Do you think it could be a trap?" Sift asked.

"That's what we are here to find out. Expect anything." I said. I approached another maintenance door leading to the lift. It opened and I took a few steps, scanning the area. I pulled back quickly. I signaled with my hands, seven, spread out, take down quietly.

They nodded and we crept in, sticking to the shadows. I walked behind a pillar behind one of the Elites and a grunt. The Elite was making the grunt stand on it's head and the grunt grumbled angrily. I quickly took out a screw from the floor and flicked it past the corner of the entrance to a hallway. It pinged off the wall and rolled noisily to a stop just past the door.

The Elite straightened instantly and took a step before yelling at the grunt. It got off it's head and grumpily walked over, dragging it's arms. I took out my knife. It passed me and I snatched it out of sight, stabbing it's head and muffling it's mouth. It let out a small squeak before falling limp and I placed it against the wall.

The Elite waited a minute and snarled again. When there was no response he stomped angrily past, grumbling in sangheili. I jumped up onto it's back, stabbing it's neck and pulling it backwards. It grabbed at it's throat and grabbed my arm in a weak attempt to pull me off. It reached to press something, an alert maybe. I stabbed it again and it slumped backwards, weakly pulling again before falling limp.

I laid it down and risked a peek around the corner. I saw a grunt disappear across from me and next to that the body of an Elite was dragged out of sight. Sift's helmet was barely visible around a corner pillar. I signaled her and the team to go towards the lift.