Chapter 20

Happy Halloween Spartans! Hope you get/got lots of candy!
Don't forget to vote!

Kyle's POV
What!? Special mission!? She started walking away to check on another patient and I called as loud as I could with the pain in my chest, "Wait! What mission!?" But she had already gone out of earshot. I looked to Jason and Cameron. "Any idea what that mission stuff was about?" They both shrugged and I sighed. Now I have to wait for her to get back. I slowly brought my legs onto the bad and sat up in an elevated position so I could breathe better. "Does it look bad?" I asked, changing the subject and gesturing to my chest. I couldn't see it due to my armor. " Jason's eyes flickered to it but he kept a grim face. Cameron however, came closer and his expression showed extreme concern before he hastily masked it. "It looks pretty bad, I'm not gonna lie. But, that could just be the dried blood and biofoam looking like that."

I groaned internally. Come on, I just got healed and now I'll have to heal again. I heard footsteps and the doctor came back, long with to assistants. "We have to do a scan to see how bad it is before we take off the armor so my assistants are gonna roll you in." She said and I nodded. She gestured for the assistants to roll me in and they got behind me and started pushing to a room at the end of the back. The doctor opened the door and I was rolled into a small rectangular room with rooms adjacent to it on either side, one had a glass window and was completely white except for the robotic arm mounted on the ceiling. I wonder what that's for.

She set me under some type of scanner and laid my stretcher flat. I closed my eyes as it scanned me and opened them as it stopped humming. The doctor was looking at a pad and frowning. "It seems that you armor has melted slightly and is partially inside the wound. We'll have to cut the piece of and take it out surgically but the rest of the armor can be removed normally. But don't worry, we'll give you plenty of sedative so you won't feel a thing." She said optimistically. I had a feeling though that she wasn't telling me the whole story but dismissed the thought. How bad could it be?

"Ok, that seems fine to me." I replied. They always needed the patient's approval before doing anything to them for injuries, no matter what.
"OK then, here is the sedative, I'm going to inject it and I want you to lie back." She said, while holding a small syringe that was poised above my inner elbow

She had cut away a small section of my suit so she could access the vein. I nodded and felt a small prick as she inserted the syringe and injected the sedative. I looked at the ceiling and laid back. I blinked– the ceiling instantaneously changed. Surprised, I went to sit up and saw I was in a hospital garment. Did they really do it already? I took a peek under my collar, not sure what to expect... I gasped, the middle of my chest looked fine except for 2 small diagonal scars. Marveling at this, I looked up and saw the doctor coming over. She smiled and said, "How are you feeling? "

"I feel great!" I almost laughed. "There's no pain, and almost no scar. Thankyou." I smiled at her. I hadn't felt this good in days.

She smiled again, "Good, everything went as planned but there was one complication..." The smile disappeared from my face, replaced by fear. "What complication?" She gave me a reassuring smile, "Nothing major, but due to the internal destruction of your chest plate and your armor on your arm being beyond proper repair, you can no longer wear the same armor. It was one of a kind and there are no more like it." My mood sank. That armor had protected me from a lot of things and it was the first I ever had. Now I can't even get a new set of the same armor.

"So I guess I have to pick new armor now." I said glumly. She nodded and I sighed, slowly rising out of bed, testing my legs before completely setting them on the ground. It looked like she was about to help me so I held up my hand for her to stop and she crossed her arms across her chest, frowning. I took a few unsteady steps, and then walked confidentially towards her. "Show me the options." I said. "Here, you might want to get dressed first." She said and pointed to a pair of clothes on a counter that lined the room. I grabbed them and she turned around so I could get dressed. I quickly got into the long sleeve gray shirt and pants and walked up to her. She turned around when he heard my footsteps and I said, "Let's go" She nodded "Follow me." She led the way out of the room and went down the hall. Whether we were in space or in the atmosphere above the planet I could not tell.