Chapter 15

Kyle's POV
Present

As I hurtled towards the front of the ship I could only think of one thing. Crap, This is gonna hurt. Then it was chaos.

I rammed into the rail that the captain was usually at with my back, knocking the breath out of me. Then, stunned, I fell through the rails, faintly trying to grasp the rail and wheezing to get my breath back.

I hit the floor as the ship tilted slightly upward. I finally was able to breath normally and I was sitting up as I slid across the floor. I looked toward the out the front window, horrified to see that it was becoming an orange color and I could feel the heat.

I flipped myself on my stomach as I grabbed all around me, my hands sliding on the floor, barely slowing me down. No no no no, come on, there must be something I can grab! I started to panic.

Suddenly there was a sharp metal breaking sound. I looked up, there was a panel coming at me that had fallen. I quickly rolled aside. I looked back up, yes! There was a wire that had fallen from the same place and it was sliding towards me.

Screams still present in my ears, I grabbed it, closing my eyes and bracing myself to be immediately jerked in place. It didn't come. I opened my eyes, surprised as I kept sliding. There were more yells throughout the ship as it was pulled in faster. It was getting hotter as I neared the window.

If I hit the window, I would be burned badly. I looked up at the curling where the cord was coming out of....my arms nearly tore out of their sockets as the cord pulled taut. I gritted my teeth in pain and couldn't hold back a shout as pain exploded in my shoulders.

I desperately grabbed the cord, looking at how close I was to a very painful death. The glass was a mere foot away from the edge of my now-very hot army boots. I could feel burns starting on my legs, possibly blistering. Phew, that was one lucky save. I quickly started pulling myself up the cord, groaning as the pain in my shoulders started up again. The slope of the ship had lessened and the window was getting less hot. I could now see the outside as I looked back.

People were starting to get up and using the rails to start taking and giving out orders. My struggle to get up the cord was lessened as I felt myself moving faster. I looked up and saw that a few people had seen my struggle and were helping me.

I finally made my way to the main rail, the people helping me to hoist myself inside it. I sat there shaking as I came to think at my close escape. I can't believe I got that close. The three that had helped me lifted me to my feet and ran off on errands.

I stood unsteadily and lifted up a pant leg, dismayed to see first and second degree burns on them. The captain was currently saying, "we are without power, and on a collision course with an unidentified forerunner planet," The floor started leveling off, enough to walk on.

I started running towards the door despite my pain, healing it would have to wait and it wasn't that bad, exiting and taking off towards my quarters. I have to get to my armor! I was almost there when there was a huge shake. I fell and there was a departure alarm, And a call for battle stations.

What! Well I will not be caught armor less when we are under attack. Quickly getting up, I ran into my quarters and put on my armor. My heads-up display, called a HUD lit up, the holographic screen showing full grenades and shield. I walked out satisfied, I should check out that departure.

I made my way to the docking bay and was shoved into a flurry of commotion. Some said a scouting run was going to be happening to see if they could find more info about the planet. Are they crazy, we're under attack!

A random soldier came up and grabbed me by the arm. "Come one, we gotta get on the Pelican before it leaves!" He said and pulled me aboard.

"Wait! What's going on, the infinity can't protect us while its under attack!" I said franticly.