Chapter 24

And Thankyou all for an astounding 5k views! I would have never thought my book would have gone this far.
-Spartan Steele

Kyle's POV

I looked out a side window and saw a pelican spiraling out of control near our co-ordinates. I heard the pilot of it yelling through the COMMs, something about covenant and banshee. Then I noticed the banshee far above, moving away from us. That must have brought them down. I looked back down and couldn't see it anymore. I hope they're ok. "Get ready for drop." The pilot said to us. Henderson stood up and grabbed his gun. "Lock and load Spartans, time to give the covenant more than they bargained for." He said and loaded a magazine into it. I stood up and grabbed my rifle, clipping in the magazine with a satisfying click!  I grabbed extra ammo for it and my pistol as well. Hmm, what else? I looked down the weapon rack, spotting a rocket launcher. Heavy, but hey, you never know what could be useful. I set down my gun, picked it up, and hooked it onto my back, getting used to the weight for a moment before grabbing some spare ammo and my assault rifle.

I walked to the back of the pelican, holding onto a hand-hold in the ceiling. Henderson was waiting as well and the rest of the team came over behind me. Henderson spoke, "Ok, first priority is to enter the base and meet with Commander Silas. After that you know what to do but I will be controlling battle tactics. Clear?" We nodded in unison. "Good, here we go." He hit the button on the top right of the door, turning it green. The hatch opened and the pelican hovered a few feet above the ground. "Go go go!" Henderson ordered. We jumped out one after each other, hitting the ground seconds apart. I bent my legs as I came down and brought up my rifle, alert for covenant in the open patch of forest where we landed. Roberts was in the lead, and we fast marched into the forest. I was behind Strang, Henderson was second, Grey was behind me, energy sword out for now, and Smith was last. I heard distant sounds of struggle and checked our coordinates.

We had a half a mile left and were heading north, somewhere in the middle of the upper hemisphere. I saw a flash and raised my gun quickly, but it was only one of the native wildlife, some kind of bird with two long tails. As it took flight I saw two hooked claws at the ends of its wings and a scaled head. 

The others had stopped to try and see what I had been alarmed about but I waved them forward and we started up again. "Movement in a quarter mile, stay alert." Rogers said quietly. She slowed her approach and we followed suit. Henderson must have a lot of faith in her. I looked at the burly soldier and tried to imagine him needing anyone. I slowed as I saw him put up his hand. He gave the signal to spread out and stick to the shadows. A large group would be easily spotted.

I grinned and pulled up a panel in my helmet as I walked. I chose something and closed it, watching as the orange on my suit turned a dark green-gray. It was another special feature they had told me about since a lot of my missions require stealth. Invisibility would have been better but at least it didn't need to recharge like invisibility did. I spread out to the left, between Strang and Grey, half crouching. I could pick up the movement now, about 4 contacts so far. The facility was not far behind the contacts.

We crept through, I could no longer see the others but I knew they were there. 50 ft away. I saw Henderson's hand raised up and gave the signal to crawl and scout out the situation first. I got on my stomach, putting my rifle by my side and pushing it up every few feet as I crawled until I reached the edge of a small clearing. I brought out my pistol and used the scope for a better look.

There were 6 of them, 4 grunts and two elites, and a banshee to the side. The elites had some kind of binoculars and were looking at the base. A grunt kicked the other and started fighting. One elite angrily spoke in Sangheili and kicked them apart before going back to scouting. Henderson whispered in our feed, "Ok, This will be a silent run. Grey, Strang, and Smith, you take care of the grunts. Rogers, you're with me in taking out the elites. If we're lucky they won't have their shields up. Kyle, you take the banshee, but only after the covenant have been taken out. Is that clear?" We winked our acknowledgement lights. "Ok, go, and be quiet." He said. I crawled backwards a few paces and got up, lightly stepping in an arc around the left of the clearing towards the banshee. The long hatch on the back was open, and I hid next to the banshee, looking for the others. Grey, Strang, and Smith were coming up behind the grunts, Henderson and Rogers behind the elites. There was a quick hand motion and three grunts and the elites died by a quick slash of a knife. The fourth grunt was killed unawares.