Chapter 29

I decided to delete the old book and continue with this one. I feel like it was too short and too soon to write a second book so I just made it part 2.

It was my Birthday March 31st! So I decided to have an early update. Enjoy!

The hatch lowered and revealed Henderson armed and waiting at the top. We waited stationary as he slowly walked down the ramp, his boots making slow resounding thunks! on the dented metal. He stepped off the ramp and I saw his arm tense tense in the exposed shoulder and elbow area, the slight squeezing of the trigger, a small movement of the upper body as he unconsciously leaned away, a twitch near his eyes and mouth as he grimaced reflexively. I stood still. He smiled "To what do I owe the pleasure? I was aware we would split up after the evacuation. After all, we would be watching from a distance to make sure you had a safe departure and then our mission would be finished." I took one step forward. "Respectively so Sir, but we also agreed that Kyle would come with us to recover on the ship, seeing that our pelican was the only one capable of leaving the atmosphere." He had a straight face now but the corner of his mouth twitched. "But Selina here was concerned that you had misheard, and since we needed a refueling as well, we decided to come here real quick before re-checking the facility and picking up Kade and Scott." I finished. He flashed a relieved look before covering it at the sound of Kade and Scott being left behind. "I assure you that you will not find Kyle here, I was in a completely different area with the pelican, prepping it for take-off. I'm sure he just wanted some fresh air." He flashed another smile.

I sighed, if he wasn't going to be honest I'd force him to admit it. "Well then why did we find your pelican tracks in the grass near the back of the med tent and the medic unconscious with a report of you and your troops coming in and forcing Kyle to come with you. We found the sedatives and struggle marks, we know it was you." His face fell and became panicked. I continued "Now, Where is Kyle?" He looked back and forth between us... Then he opened fire.

I immediately dropped, bullets whistling above my head. Selina rolled out of the way and behind a crate, returning fire. I looked up to see him running up the ramp with bullets from Selina draining his shield. I ran up after him... And was met by Grey. Grey had a knife in his right hand. I looked at it quickly, him looking at my empty hands. He saw the advantage and darted forward, the knife whistling through the air. I blocked his arm and swung at his side, blocked by his left arm. He slashed the knife at my abdomen, left, right, horizontal slash. I blocked and ducked under the slash. I quickly delivered a punch to the stomach. He folded in the middle, holding his abdomen with his left arm and the knife in the right. I raised my fist but a shake made me stop and steady myself. There was the roar of an engine. The pelican was taking off! Grey smiled and dived at me. I slipped aside lightning fast to my left and punched him to the ground with my left fist. He quickly got up, wiping his lip where it had his the ground and started bleeding. There were sounds of ricochet as Scott fired on an engine, and smoke appeared as he damaged it. Selina ran towards the ramp, but had to roll behind cover as Henderson appeared in the cockpit and fired, waiting for the pelican to go through the start sequences. The pelican shook again as it warmed up and we spread our feet to stabilize.

I looked towards Henderson and took a step before being tackled by Grey. I hit the ramp hard and we rolled, exchanging short punches. I used the momentum to slam his knife hand in the ramp, forcing him to let go. The knife slid off the edge. The pelican was starting to move forward now. I saw Selina run and try to catch onto the edge but she missed as it moved faster. He got up quickly and aimed for my head with a punch. I rolled away and he hit the metal. Kade was running below us, trying to find a place to board. I saw him climb on something, coiling to jump for the edge and swing himself up. I delivered a hard punch to Grey's face, causing him to stumble near the edge. He was bleeding from his lip and nose now and unsteady on his feet. I saw Kade jump, aiming for the left edge of the ramp where Grey was. He caught onto the very corner, nearly slipping off, and swung himself below, up and over. He used the momentum to kick Grey, flinging Grey into the side of the pelican and knocking him out. The momentum caused him to slip off though and he landed in a crouch on a fuel tank below. He flashed his red acknowledgement light showing he was ok and I nodded.