Chapter 1: Never Grow Up ★

Year: 2003

Ronnie's POV:

The candles on the colorful birthday cake shined bright in the dark, as it was placed in front of me. My twin grabbed my hand, as he excitedly waited to blow the candles out.

Happy Birthday to you!

I always wondered how "Happy Birthday" was such a popular song, despite no one knowing who truly wrote it. I dreamed to write a song that was popular, that everyone would sing along to the second they heard it.

Happy Birthday dear Joel and Ronnie!

I looked at my brother, who started admiringly at the cake. It was a simple vanilla cake, decorated with colorful frosting. On it was written, "Happy Birthday Joel and Ronnie!" 

I turned my head to view my younger brother. Despite the dark room, I could make out his face thanks to the light from the candles. He had a genuine smile as he sang along.

Happy Birthday to you!

"Make a wish!" Luke told us.

Joel and I looked at each other, smiled, then we turned back toward our cake. 

We closed our eyes, and we blew out the candles.

And we made our wish.

The wish. 

"Alright!" I heard our mom say, as she turned the lights back on. "Let me cut slices for everyone, and then you can open your presents!"

"I'll help you, Mom!" I said, jumping up from my seat and following her into the kitchen. Joel stayed behind and started playing with Luke, while Dad started preparing our gifts in the living room.

I grabbed five plates, along with five utensils. I placed them next to my mom as she started slicing the cake. 

"So, kiddo," she said, putting the first slice on a plate. "How does it feel to be twelve?"

"To be honest, it feels the same as eleven."

"Well, don't waste the years when you're young. Before you know it, you'll be grown up, and you can't go back."

"I know," I said, although thinking differently. I needed to be older to accomplish my dream, and how much I wish I was already at that point in my life. 

"Well, I hope you made a good wish," she said, as she raised an eyebrow. 

I started to get excited, just thinking about my wish! "Yeah, I wished for-"

"Shhh!" my mom silenced me, placing a finger on my lips. "You can't tell me, or it'll never come true!" She winked at me, as I giggled with excitement. 

"Alright, you take those plates, I'll take the rest. Go to your father in the living room."

"Okay!" I agreed. I walked to the living room, finding my dad sitting on the couch, while my brothers were playfully wrestling.

I placed the plates on the nearby coffee table, as I said to my brothers, "What are you guys doing?" 

Both of my brothers quickly shot up still, with their eyes widened. 

"Nothing!" Luke blurted out.

"Yes, nothing at all!" Joel agreed.

I giggled, as I sat next to Joel and waited patiently for my mother. She brought the remaining plates of cake, then sat down next to Dad. 

"Okay, Joel, Ronnie, do you guys want to open your presents before or after the cake?"

"BEFORE!" Joel and I screamed in unison. 

"Okay, okay!" our Dad chuckled as he handed us our gifts, one each. Joel received a smaller blue box, wrapped in "Happy Birthday!" wrapping paper, and had a blue bow on it. I looked back at my gift, which was significantly bigger, in a pastel purple box, with the same type of wrapping paper, with a beautiful glitter purple bow. 

"You can open them." our Mom said, with a big smile. 

Joel and I quickly began unwrapping our gifts. Since Joel's present was smaller, he got to his present first. 

"Woah!" he said in amazement. "A microphone! Thank you!" He turned to Luke. "We can write songs and sing them with this!"

"That's going to be so cool!" Luke replied, already imagining them using it. 

I finally managed to unwrap my gift, and tears began to form in my eyes as I realized what it was.

"A guitar!" I spoke.

"And now we have an instrument to sing along with!" Luke excitedly screamed.

"Yes," my mom joined in. "If you want Ronnie, we can even sign you up for lessons. I know how badly you want to write songs." She winked at me. 

"I would love that, Mom! Thank you so much, Mom and Dad!"

"You're welcome, my angel."

I smiled. I loved that nickname.

She started calling me that ever since the first time she heard me sing. 

She told me, "It's because you have the voice of an angel."