Chapter 19: Enchanted ★

Ronnie's POV:

There I was again tonight

Forcing laughter, faking smiles

Same old tired, lonely place

Walls of insincerity

Shifting eyes and vacancy

Vanished when I saw your face

All I can say is it was enchanting to meet you

I sat nervously in Maddie's office, my mind racing with thoughts of how I could get enough money to help our new money problem at home. The weight of responsibility hung heavy on my shoulders, and I desperately needed a breakthrough in my music career. Maddie could sense my desperation and had been working tirelessly to find opportunities for me.

Maddie leaned forward, a glimmer of excitement in her eyes. "Ronnie, I've got some news that might interest you. I've found an opportunity for you to attend an event. It could give you some great exposure."

My eyes widened as I filled with anticipation. "Are you serious? What event?"

"The Met Gala," Maddie said with a smirk, slowly nodding her head as if to confirm once again.

"Really? That sounds amazing, Maddie. But you know I'm struggling to make ends meet. How much will it cost?"

"Well, here's the catch. You're not an A-lister," she paused, then added. "Yet. But the designers had generously offered to pay for a great portion of the ticket." My face saddened, as I knew these tickets weren't cheap. Even if the designers offered to pay a little of it, it would still leave a lot of money to pay.

"I don't know Maddie," I said, as I signed.

"Now hold on, let me finish," Maddie said, waving her hand in the air. "So the designers offered to pay the majority of the expenses, but there was still $10,000 remaining to pay. But after talking with some people, someone agreed to anonymously donate the rest of the expenses. So you'll be going free of charge. They've even given you a bit extra money to help you with your situation with your brothers." I felt a sense of relief flush over me. The extra money would give Joel some time to find a job, without worrying about the bills.

"Are you serious? Who paid? Can I thank them?" I excitedly ranted as I jumped up from my seat.

"Now settle down," Maddie giggled as she gestured for me to sit. "Like I said, anonymous. Consider it... a gift from God let's say."

"Ok," I chuckled. "I will. Now, tell me more about the event."

"Well, you have another opportunity. The event comes with an additional performance opportunity. They're offering extra payment for that."

"Are you serious? That's, that's incredible! Thank you so much, Maddie!"

"Anytime," she smiled, seeming happy from my reaction. "Now, let's go over a few things." Maddie pulled out a glossy brochure, showcasing the grandeur of the award show. "This event is one of the biggest in the industry. It's attended by influential people from the music industry, media, and celebrities. It's the perfect opportunity for you to network and gain exposure."

My excitement grew as I imagined myself walking down the carpet, rubbing shoulders with industry professionals who could potentially open doors for her music career. "That sounds incredible! What about the performance? What do I need to do?"