Chapter 2: Fifteen ★

Year: 2007

Ronnie's POV:

"So, he just ended it over the phone?" my best friend, Abby, asked. I quickly called her after my boyfriend broke up with me over the phone. 

I never considered myself a girl who desperately needed a boy in her life. When I met Asher, I didn't even think about dating. I simply saw him as a really close friend. 

We met in biology class, through a mutual friend. I remember the day so clearly.

Three Months Ago

"Alright class!" our biology teacher announced. "We're going to start a new lab today! So, I need you guys to get into groups of three."

My usual lab partner, Eli, turned around to face me since I sat behind him. "Partners?"

"As usual!" I smiled. I knew of Eli before this class, but I hadn't spoken to him until we realized we were in the same class. We weren't really friends outside of the class, but it was nice to have someone to be with during class. Since Joel and I took different levels of science, it was comforting to have someone to turn to. 

"We need a third partner though," I said. As if on cue, someone's voice entered the conversation.

"Hey Eli!" a voice spoke. I faced the person the voice belonged to. Asher. My smile dropped. 

I didn't really know Asher, but I knew Eli was on the cross-country team with him. I was worried that Asher would make Eli pick between us, and I'm not so sure if Eli would choose to partner with me. 

"Hey Asher," he responded.

"Wanna be in my group?" he asked the grand question. I bit my lip as I patiently waited to hear his decision. 

"Well, that's up to Ronnie. I'm already partnered with her. You have to ask her if you want to be in our group." I felt a sense of relief, but also a small amount of happiness, that someone would choose me over someone else. 

Asher turned towards me. "Hey. Is that okay with you?"

"Yeah, of course." 

"Thanks," he said, sitting in the empty chair next to me. "My name's Asher." 

"Ronnie."

"Nice to meet you, Ronnie. Wait, aren't you in one of my other classes?"

"Yeah, I'm in your P.E. class," I responded. His question surprised me, I thought I was mostly invisible to my classmates when I'm not with Joel. 

"Oh, cool, cool! How do you feel about the upcoming swimming unit?"

"It's okay, I guess. Not a big fan of swimming."

"Wow, interesting. I don't think I've ever met someone who doesn't like swimming." 

"Well, there's a first time for everything," I smiled. Our teacher began to speak again, stopping our conversation. But that definitely wouldn't be the last time Asher spoke to me. 

A Few Days Later

The bell rang and I made it just in time for class. I had just come from Pre-Calculus, a classroom that found itself across the school. I'm not sure how they expect me to be able to pass across the school in under five minutes without running. 

I sat down in my seat, finding myself next to Asher. He had convinced the teacher to let us switch seats for the new semester, and he had chosen to switch to the seat next to me.