Chapter 24: Back to December ★

Ronnie's POV:

I nervously glanced at my reflection in the car mirror, adjusting my hair and smoothing out my dress. It had been months since Tanner and I broke up, and yet, the memories of our time together still lingered in my mind. We had agreed to meet up today, at the coffee shop we used to frequent, to finally have the conversation we desperately needed. The conversation that would either mend our broken hearts or solidify our decision to move on.

As I walked into the familiar coffee shop, the scent of freshly brewed coffee enveloped me, bringing back a flood of memories. Memories of laughter, late-night conversations, and stolen kisses. I spotted Tanner sitting at our usual table near the window, lost in thought. He looked up and our eyes met, causing my heart to skip a beat. Taking a deep breath, I made my way over to him.

I'm so glad you made time to see me

How's life? Tell me, how's your family?

I haven't seen them in a while

You've been good, busier than ever

We small talk, work and the weather

Your guard is up and I know why

"Hey," I said softly, my voice barely above a whisper.

Tanner's eyes softened as he replied, "Hey, Ronnie."

We sat in silence for a moment, the weight of our past relationship hanging heavily in the air.

"Uh," I stuttered, unsure of how to begin a conversation. "Well, thanks for agreeing to this. I know this must have been hard for you."

"Oh, yeah, yeah, no worries," he answered, until we returned to silence again.

"How's the touring going?" Tanner asked, breaking the silence.

"Oh, it's great. You know me, performing is my favorite thing to do."

"Yeah..." Tanner awkwardly responded as he tapped on the table.

Because the last time you saw me

Is still burned in the back of your mind

You gave me roses and I left them there to die

"Okay," I started. "I guess the main reason I wanted to see you, was to say I was sorry. I handled things right with you and John, and it was my fault. I didn't appreciate you enough for everything you did for me."

He looked up at me as if he was unsure of what to say. "I'm sorry too. I really loved you, Ronnie. I was willing to be at your side throughout everything - the fame, the news, the fans. I was willing to battle through it all with you."

Tears clouded my eyes, as I fighthed the urge to cry in front of him.

So this is me swallowin' my pride

Standin' in front of you, sayin' I'm sorry for that night

And I go back to December all the time

It turns out freedom ain't nothin' but missin' you

Wishin' I'd realized what I had when you were mine

I'd go back to December, turn around and make it alright

I go back to December all the time